An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 3 yr old does not want to listen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Toddlers to Twelve Year olds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SingleMom28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: My 3 yr old does not want to listen Reply with quote

Hi, Im new here. I have a 3 yr old daughter, who at times can be so loving and caring and a good girl, but most of the time, she does not want to listen to me. She throws fits and swings at me,makes me chase her around to get dressed. When I yell at her or try to discipline her she laughs at me. Cant get her to go to sleep. I dont like hitting, so I use a little flick with my fingers sometimes but she still laughs. The funny thing is, is that her father and I split her 50/50 and when she is there she is totally the opposite. She goes to bed on her own, she cleans up her toys and everything. She is really affectionate towards me when she is not throwing her fits, and she always wants to be right near me, including me in all of her playing and activities. But what can I do to make her listen to me, for her to understand that when I say no I mean no.
JanetM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three years old is a tough age. She may grow out of it soon. They seem to change around four. Timeout seems to work for me. As soon as my son does something wrong, he is in front of the door and stays there until I say he can leave -- even if I have to sit there in a chair the whole time. It pays off later...Be firm and consistent.
myzima2000

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when my son was younger and he was doing regular visitation with my ex my son use to act like your daughter and when he finally stopped coming to get my son my son acted like a normal child i dont want to alarm you but it may be something going on if your daughter does visitation. i found out later that my sons visitation were not as safe and happy as i hoped they would be and now i can understand why mom son acted the way he did just something to think about now my son still thoughts fits but they are not like they use to be they are normal child fits and they do get better as they get older but being consitant is a main key
JanetM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son also acts different after his visitation weekend with his father. Me and my husband usually say it's time for "deprogramming" when he comes back. It usually takes a day or two. This behavior seems to have gotten better in recent years. It was much worse when he was younger -- like four.
myzima2000

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i know what you mean but i think bad things were happening to my son when he had full visitation on the weekends because he was out of my sons life for a year and my son was like a completely different child the really bad fits stopped and he was having just the normal fits children that age have and now that my ex has supervise visitation i dont have nearly the problem i had when he was two and younger but i documented his behavior so i could see if there was a pattern and there was and i also wanted the documentation just incase i needed it but my son just turned four and he is much better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Toddlers to Twelve Year olds All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: