An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I leave the state with my four children?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hberger

State or Province: Illinois

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: How do I leave the state with my four children? Reply with quote

I am a single mother with sole custody of my four children. My ex-husband is mentally ill and is abusive. He has visitation rights and I know he will fight me to the bitter end when he finds out I want to relocate to another state. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do this? (The "do's" and "don'ts"-based on real experiences would be helpful!) I do not know the proper protocol. Obviously, I need an attorney to re-define my divorce decree in regards to visitation, however, I need help and I welcome any feedback on how to quickly and painlessly achieve this goal.
Oliviasmom

State or Province: Arizona

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: There is no way... Reply with quote

you can do this painelessly.

He is the father and he does have the right to a relationship with the children. It does not matter if he is mentally ill or abusive, it does not mean you can move out of state.

In order to be allowed to move, you must prove that the move is in the best interest of the children.

Why are you moving?

The first thing to do is to ask your ex husband if you 2 can work out any sort of agreement that will allow you to move.

I am not sure if he pays CS or how often he sees the kids, but be prepared to work out something with him.

Otherwise, your only choice is to see an attorney, or file pro se in court for permission to move out of state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: