An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grandparent issue...NEED HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherOfTwoGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Grandparent issue...NEED HELP! Reply with quote

I am a 28 year old mother of two beautiful girls. I had my oldest daughter (10 1/2) when I was 17 and my mother went from being absolutely adament that I give her up for adoption or have an abortion to fighting my authority with my daughter and taking control of raising her. I have fought with my parents for years now and have reached the end of my rope! I moved with my youngest daughter to California for a couple of months and wanted to take my older daughter as well, but my parents, being the controlling people they are, convinced me that she should stay in Kansas until I was settled. I ended up coming back for my older daughter and have not told my parents of my plans to taker her back to California with me, because I'm terrified that they will start legal proceedings to take her from me. I have no criminal record, am a fairly well-paid professional and love both of my girls, although I have been forced to only play the disciplinarian role with my older daughter. I want the chance to raise both of my girls far away from my parents' control. Is there any way they can gain custody of my older daughter or bar me from moving away? Also, my father has threatened to keep my daughter and I've told him that if he does, I will report her kidnapped. He has stated that there isn't anything the police would do, because she would state that she wanted to stay with my parents. Is this true?? Please help!
suzanne29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I don't know how that would work out legally, but my understanding is that the law favors you every time. Why don't you ask your oldest daughter what she wants to do? Ask her in a private place, away from her grandparents. And get the advice of a lawyer. Don't spend another day worrying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: