An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resources for Single Mothers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patina21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Resources for Single Mothers Reply with quote

Hello, I am posting this out of desperation. I work with a young Mother with 2 children ages 9 and 11. She has had a lot of rejection in her life. She was born in Korea half black and half Korean. She was given away when she was a baby to a friend and ended up here in America adopted by people who really didn't want her.She was raised by an adopted Grandmother and has never known real love and security. She comes to work every day and is a good worker. But, she has to beg rides to and from work because she has no car.She was crying the other day because she had to send her little 9 year old girl off to school walking over 1 mile to and from school. Her 11 year old son does the same. She has to send them to a YMCA after school and pay a lot of money she does not have until she gets home.She had a car but could not keep up the payments and with owing only 5 payments on it they came in the night and reposessed it. She was crying because she felt she had let her children down . This young girl would break your heart if you could be around her. She is very soft spoken and very polite and good hearted. We try to help her with little things but we can't buy her a car. I know there are good people out there who would love to help her but I need to get the word out about her so people will know she is in terrible need.Does anyone have any ideas how we could raise money for her to get an inexpensive car or anyone who maybe has a car they don't really need that they would donate it and get a tax break for it.I know tere are a lot of very bright women out there who would love to get involved. I think this could be an ongoing thing to help other women and make sure these women really get the things people donate instad of a lot of the car charities selling the cars for profit and none of the needy people ever see them. PLEASE RESPOND WITH HELP OR IDEAS !! THANKS SO MUCH Mona E.
Barb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patina21
I would think the best way to help her is to get out the word of her needs in your community, perhaps through your church, friends, co-workers, clubs. If you and a couple of friends are interested you could also get some kind od a benefit going for her. Just a thought.
Good Luck
Barbara
Javalady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yo didn't say where you are, but here in the Houston Texas area we have a lot of social services resources to help. Check with your city or county for social services. But more than that, check with the churches, many have food pantries and can help with a car. A car can be donated to a church as a tax write-off for the donor then given to a person with the need free of charge. She's still have to pay the fee for changing the title of the car to her name, but thats usually less than 50 dollars. However, check with a CPA--usually the car has to have a formal appraisal in writing before it can be donated to the church, for tax amounts.
Go to your Local Medicaid office and spefically ask for a LIST of helpful agencies and resources. Good luck.
mneeley

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Single Mother Resources Reply with quote

Please visit http://singlemothersshare.org if you are in search of place to share financial responsiblities with other single mothers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: