An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pregnant and father lives in Sicily

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Pregnant and Alone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwalls1

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: pregnant and father lives in Sicily Reply with quote

I am a single mother of a 7 year boy and now 24 weeks pregnant. The father of my unborn child lives in Sicily, he is not a US citizen. As a mother, once the baby is born, what rights do I have......Do I have to put the father's name on the birth certificate, have her take his last name. We get a long and he wants to come to the US for the first time to visit with the baby, but I worry that he is planning to take her back to sicily or get a lawyer there and see what rights he has here. We have only know each other for a year, but we don't know each other well enough to trust him, to let me raise our baby by myself. He is 40 years old, never been married and no children. I am 32, been married, divorced for 5 years now and not looking to get married again. Anyone know what rights there are or have you been in this situation before?? thanks![/b]
marigallion

State or Province: Alaska

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: No worries! Reply with quote

At this time, he has no rights. The baby will be born in the U.S. and will be a U.S. Citizen. He will not have custodial rights, will not be able to get them, and will not be allowed to take the baby out of the country 9and don't you ever give him permission to either!). You can give him supervised visitation, but don't let him have any custody. One drawback is that you will not get enforced child support if he lives in Italy, but you will have all your autonomy, and that's SO important. I advise that you don't put his name on the B.C., because if some time in the future you go to Italy with the baby and see him, he might be able to keep the baby according to E. U. law (but not sure of that). One thing I want all the women on this site to understand: CUT AND RUN FATHERS HAVE NO RIGHTS UNLESS YOU GIVE THEM. Sometimes rights are given away by the mother as an attempt to be "fair" or to be forgiving. Although this Sicilian doesn't seem threatening, nor is he a cut-and-run man, I advise you to keep all the rights.
Mari
www.singlepregnancy.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Pregnant and Alone All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: