An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROTECTIVE MOMS YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sing_anyway

State or Province: Minnesota

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: PROTECTIVE MOMS YOU ARE NOT ALONE Reply with quote

this is where i hope that all you wonderful moms out there will meet to exchange ideas and experiences and hold each other up. You are not alone. You are not crazy.
The things that you are dealing with as protective moms regarding custody visitation, ect. are not isolated.
This is a women's rights issue, a children's civil rights issue, and we have to work together,
no one is going to do it for us.
It is hard
It is not hopeless.
The best tool we have is communication,
I saw so many different discussions on this site about this topic, it needs to go to one place so everyone can express this issue fully and help each other.
30 years ago, no one wanted to hear about women being battered.
Today, no one wants to hear about bad fathers and how they hurt our children.
Every battle that is up right now may feel hopeless, but so did the battle for women being beaten. Each thing that we share is not a stumbling block but a stepping stone. Yes at the childrens expense. No it isn't fair. We have to start somewhere, or it will keep not being fair for the next 30 years.
I am not someone who is actually involved personally with this particullar issue, but I was raised in this kind of situation. I now work with a womens shelter where I am seeing this come up a lot.
Any one interested in more info, I just came back from a seminar given by a man named Lundy Bancroft, who talked exlusively about this. He has been active in womens rights for 20 years, and is out there on the web.
As he saw 20 years ago with battered women, so he sees today, as we are all seeing,
we are not done, we've only just begun.
Keep each other informed
God bless you and your children
NanafromWisconsin

State or Province: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lundy Bancroft has some great books, too. My daughter is going through a custody battle with her ex-husband who is a batterer. His books have been a great help to her. Also, you have an author in your own state of Minnesota who is working for women who have been battered - Jeffrey L. Edleson. He has a new book Parenting by Men Who Batter Women: New Directions in Assessment and Intervention. I would suggest that anyone dealing with a batterer, read some of their books. When you feel like nobody understands, reading Lundy Bancroft's books will make you think he is writing about your own situation. And somebody does understand.

As I mentioned, my daughter is trying to protect her son from his father. Our courts have been badly influenced by the father's rights organization here. Especially the court commisioner handling her case.

Does anyone know of a court case that was won in Wisconsin or anywhere else because of past abuse? There is a 3-4 year old law here that states specifics about cases with abuse. But all of her advisors (lawyer's, etc.) say that it doesn't matter and has never been used in our courts.

Thank you.

[/i]
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask on this board

http://childcustodyattorney.com/childcustodydiscussion/viewforum.php?f=51&sid=de9f3b198284b19f79280522bea3f068

It is a Wisconsin state board specifically that can help answer that question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: