An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazychic807

State or Province: Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Need Advice Reply with quote

Im a new mother not married, living in Tn like to know if anyone knows the rights of a father who isnt involved at all and not has payed anything. He tring to come in the picture afther all this time. I would just like to know if anyone knows what rights he can have, his name not on the birth certificate so would that make me the sould custody person. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Stuck and dont know what to do Embarassed
NannyM

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with if he is the father then he would have to get a paternity test. After that go for child support and custody papers. Also ask for supervised visitation until the child gets to know him and feels comfortable around him, Slowly work in weekend visitation days only then later with some overnights.

He has no rights until paternity is established.
crazychic807

State or Province: Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for repling back to me your the only one I've heard from i could use all the advice i can get the only thing from my understanding he wants rights but dont want to go to court. Very Happy
NannyM

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him you both need to have something in writing with a judges signature.

You two can sit down and come to an agreement before taking it to the courts to file, and like I said you need to take it slow on the child going with him till the child is comfortable with him. I personally like a 50/50 legal and physical, but that is JMO on it being better for the child. For young children not in school I like a 3/3/4/4. But that would be allot harder on a school age child if you are not in the same school district.

You have to decide what is in your child's best interest. Then go from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: