An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

joint custody question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesahodges

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: joint custody question? Reply with quote

I live in SC. My x- boyfriend is taking me to court for custody of my almost 3 yr old son. this is only shortly after i took him to child support dss. i was told that both parents have to agree to joint custody for a judge to grant it. i've done some research and joint custody is great if the parents get along. not so in this case. i want sole custody of my son. and he can continue to have visitation as he already does. and i would give him every access to all his personal med/school records. I have a lawyer, but i think he is working with his attorney. i'm petrified. they are all working together against me.
NannyM

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in SC. My x- boyfriend is taking me to court for custody of my almost 3 yr old son. this is only shortly after i took him to child support dss.

What took you so long to go for child support?

i was told that both parents have to agree to joint custody for a judge to grant it.

Not always true.

i've done some research and joint custody is great if the parents get along. not so in this case.

Then maybe you should both learn how to for the sake of your child.

i want sole custody of my son. and he can continue to have visitation as he already does. and i would give him every access to all his personal med/school records.

If you can get along for the visitation now why not go for shared custody? 50/50 custody does not always mean he gets 50% of the time.

I have a lawyer, but i think he is working with his attorney. i'm petrified. they are all working together against me.

Thats because they are. Thats why it's called a custody battle.

Ok now I was not trying to be mean just stating facts.

The judge will be looking at quite a few things.
Whats in the best interest of your child.
Who will make sure that the child will have time with both extended families.
What is the status quo up until now.
Who is the primary care giver.
The judge will tell you that the child needs both parents and will do whatever he has to, to make that happen unless one parent is deemed unfit. Which really takes allot for that to be proven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: