An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Luckydog

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Another new member Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a single mom with 9 year old twin girls. I have been divorced from the children's father for 5 years.. There were DV issues in the house involving me and the kids and the dog!.. it finally came out into the open when he assaulted a secretary in his building, spent some time in jail, and and subsequently earned supervised visits with the kids. We only just recently started receiving child support of $ 300 a month ( the man earns ~$80K per yearly) as per a court order when I tried to obtain sole custody but only succeeded in getting the ability to make medical and dental decisions if we received zero.. to trade off not harrassing us for intermittent visits and threats.. that would be great.. other than this.. we are a happy group. the kids are doing well in school and they have pretty good self esteem. Luckily, I am able to support us without "help" from dad.. which is good, considering that it would be another niche for control

So, that's the story in a nutshell.. I used to belong to Singlemomz.com.. but that group dissipated a few years ago.. glad I found y'all. Laughing

M..
NannyM

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that the kids are doing good, but how is it that you have custody and support together when it's really completely separate issues?
1Luckydog

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custody and support are indeed different issues.. We went to court for sole custody... the father had, 1 month prior dropped the health indurance for the girls, claiming it was a financial hardship, so I had asked the court as well for him to re-instate the insurance.. Long story short, the Judge, in his infinite wisdom ( tongue in cheek), decided that The dad would not have to re-instate the insurance, but that we could ask for support.. so that's how 2 unrelated topics came to be heard together.. $300 is a drop in the bucket with repsect to bringing up kids!

hanks for your reply. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: