An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unmarried mother what are my rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss83

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: unmarried mother what are my rights? Reply with quote

Question I was never married to my ex and also the father of my little girl. He just recently got out of prison and want to be with her and i said no b/c he has never wanted to be with her before now, another word he never wanted to be around her before.I told him the best place to start is child support scine i need the help. He hung up on me after cussing me out he use to do that all the time before he would smack me. Now he is trying to take me to court. What are my rights my litttle girl is only 4 and I need to protect her from harm. Question
NannyM

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File for child support first.

What was he in prison for?

When you go to court you should ask for supervised visitation first so your daughter will get to know him since he is a virtual stranger to her.

Explain to the judge that he has been known to smack you around in the past. It would really help your case if he was ever arrested for domestic violence.
myboyismylife

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on everything NannyM said!

If you have ever called the police on him for domestic violence, you should definitely document that, otherwise, even having witnesses willing to testify that he was physically abusive will be very helpful. It will make sense in a court of law that he was abusive emotionally and physically and that you are trying to keep your child from anything similar.

I was abused by my ex but never called the police on him and still allowed him to be in my child's life and now, here we are in the middle of a custody battle - he is off parading himself around like he's father of the year because he has been involved (and basically, he just doesn't want to be the non-custodial parent) and I can't use the information about the abuse because it makes me look like the bad guy for letting him be around my child.

You have the upper hand. Don't let him intimidate you. Try and stay calm and know that the law is on your side - quite strongly in the case from what you've said.
DEFINITELY get a lawyer - you will have maximally good results for your daughters if you do.

Best of luck!!
~A~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: