An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laws on moving out of cali with son?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veesocali

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Laws on moving out of cali with son? Reply with quote

New here, and I am just looking for a simple answer.I am thinking of moving to Tx, with my son. I am divorced(by mediators...no atty.)I have full custody, with my ex husband having visitation on the weekends. Can I just pick up and go, or do I have to go to court to ask permission from judge. Have not mentioned move to ex, but I am sure he will fight me on it! If anyone knows the law,or what steps to take, please respond. Thank You.
dancerchicky246

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veesocial
My understanding of what happens here in cal. is that you need to give your ex a certain amount of notice..maybe 30 days ..sadly he will probably go to court getting an order for you to stay until a hearing is set. At the hearing a judge will order a child evaluation. Chances are in cal. an evaluator will give dad AT LEAST 50% custody maybe more. then you are stuck here....I tried to leave and this is what happened to me . Also the way the courts are now ESPESCIALLY in "communist" california your ex may get significant time . They are EXTREMLY anti mom anti women out here!!! For me this prompted a five year battle to justify my existence as my kids mom ....my advice is to stay away from cal. courts as much as you can ...be very careful!!!
angela702

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to court's help clinic they will help you fill out papers for the court you don't have to ask, just make sure you fill out the right paper work. And ask what steps you need to take. I left the state with my son and be/c i didn't let the court know now he is with is dad. My lawer said that if i would of just did the paper work i would of had him.
angie702
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is about two years old, but I live in california, and am in the process of moving back to texas myself. Instead of notifying the dad who would in turn file in court to keep me here while we waited for court dates... I went to see my attorney first, got the probability average for me being able to leave and how soon I needed to file to be able to leave after my lease runs out here... I thought about it long and hard for more then a month, and then contacted my attorney...

He filed the papers last month for me to leave no later then april 2008 stating that I am not leaving to keep my son from his dad, but that california is too expensive a state to raise a child as a single mom, and that my older children from a previous marriage all want to go back to texas as well. my son is only 3 years old... and I have better then 90% chance of being able to just leave. I did exactly as my attorney told me to in regards to visitation to my ex after we leave...

My ex has already stated in previous petitions that he is living sub sistantly from his mother so he can not "support" our son on his own anyway.

If you are moving out of state from the state of california, my suggestion is that you go through an attorney and follow exactly what they tell you to do in regards to visitation and support so that you get the desired outcome... I don't really want to give up my son for the chunks of time I am going to have too... but in the grand scheme of things, my ex would get this time if we were here only spread out instead of on lumps.
gybeka

State or Province: Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Moving out of Cali Reply with quote

My ex-husband and I came to an agreement that it was OK for me to move to GA with my daughter. I have been paying for plane tickets every month so she could visit her father in CA. Her father and I agreed that our daughter would spend the summer with him in CA. Now he is telling me he will not return her to me and that he is keeping her in CA. He told me I have no rights because I moved out of CA.
I don't know what to do. I am so scared. I need advise.
PLEASE, ANYONE, I can't afford an attorney and I don't know what my rights are. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Gybeka
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have that agreement in writing? You are going to have to get the money for an attorney... and if I were you, I would get your butt on a plane and go get your daughter now... or drive out there now and get her. If you never filed anything in court you are going to need all your records from purchasing plane fares and such, and you will definitely need an attorney.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: