An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Financial help from Father prior to birth of Baby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjustin

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Financial help from Father prior to birth of Baby? Reply with quote

My to be husband (did not work out)so im a single mother to be, struggling with medical bills,misc purchases.diapers food,crib,etc...is he (The dad) reposible for any of these things prior to birth(Legaly)?I am 8.5 months pregnant and he has paid about $300.00 towards the cause.Is there anything i can do at this point to have the father ,legally, pitch in more money to help me out?
Thank you in advance..........
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... he isn't responsible for anything financially until the child is here, and even then, he isn't responsible for purchasing the furniture and other stuff... You can probably get re imbursed for the child's part of the medical... meaning the birth and half the child's stay in the hospital, but your prenatal visits are all on you...

He will only be responsible to pay child support, and he technically doesn't have to pay that until the judge orders it...

Your best bet is to see a custody/support attorney now... set up all the paperwork so that once you deliever you can call your attorney from the hospital to have him file the papers in court...

It could take anywhere from one to six months to get a court date, and then once support is ordered it could take up to three months before you start seeing any money... and that is on the best case senario... if he requests paternity testing could take longer...

Also, remember that once you take this to court, it is likely that he could get 50% of the child's time... so talk to an attorney now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: