An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what actual rights does a mother have??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgeousgirl68

State or Province: Not Applicable

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: what actual rights does a mother have?? Reply with quote

im interested in finding out what rights i have. It looks as though he is going to get access (supervised) possibly once every two months to start off with. He's known through the courts for assault, and breach of the peace. He's violent physically and verbally, and manipulative, a compulsive liar, and trouble maker. Through his violence 16 months ago, i stopped contact. We've been in court for the last few months and have had a court repoter invloved. her recommendation is that he seek anger management before contact, and that he should be allowed quartely contact. my lawyer said he'll probably get more than that. If I refuse this, i could be up in front of the judge for contempt of court. I'm trying to protect my son (he's 3 and a half) from any more emotional upset and confusion. Why do I feel bullied into a corner?? and why on earth am i not being listened to. I could scream with frustration. He's not interested in my boy, just getting at me, and my family. advise me!!!
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a judge makes an order you must abide by it. I would agree that before your ex has access to the kids he has to go through anger management and parenting classes. His visits should be supervised and I wouldn't give him any more than that. If a judge gives him more there is nothing you can do about it, but you don't have to agree to anything and a judge can decide.

Honestly with what you expect to happen it doesn't sound like that is a lot of time with dad and considering it would be supervised that is a good thing. This sounds very good and fair.

Do what is right for your kids but try and remember you have to coparent with the jerk, because he is the kids father. So unless he completely blows it and ends up in jail he has rights to them and a judge will likely give him some contact.

My husband's cousin just divorced her husband because he beat her and hit the kids. The man has supervised visits now once a week in his mother's home. He beat his kids and has rights to see them supervised. So you see that even terrible father's somehow get to see their kids one way or the other.
gorgeousgirl68

State or Province: Not Applicable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right of course, and thanks for your reply. We went to court yesterday, and I really did feel that the sheriff was fair, and actually was keen to stress that he had to prove by way of a doctors report that he was persuing anger management before we go back to court in march next year. He has three hour long supervised visits before then. He even had the cheek to ask that one of the visits be on our sons birthday.
I have complete confidence in the mediation service, where the contact is to take place, as they know all the background, and how manipulative and charming, and believable he can be.
I just have to get on with it, and hope that he becomes bored with the whole thing, or that he has a lobotomy(is that how you spell it? ) and a 100% change in character. I absolutely know he is out to spoil everything in our life, and saying 'I told you so' to the powers that be, in one year, two years or whatever, will not really undo any of the damage that i know will occur in my adorable little boys life. thankyou for your help!!
Sterling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, chances are he will get bored with it! That happens often!
tammyleal@peoplepc.com

State or Province: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: PARENTAL RIGHTS. ?? Reply with quote

I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO HELP ME WITH MY CUSTODY ISSUES. I HAD MY KIDS TAKEN AWAY 5 YEARS AGO. MY EX HUSBAND HAS THEM, HE DID NOT LET ME SEE THEM FOR 3 YEARS BUT NOW HE DOES. HIS SISTER IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY OUR 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. WE GO TO COURT IN MAY AND I DO NOT HAVE AN ATTORNEY. MY PARENTAL RIGHTS WERE ALLOCATED AND I AM NOW TRYING TO GET THEM BACK. I NEED SOME HELP DESPERATELY BECAUSE I WANT TO GO IN TO COURT WITH SOME LEGAL KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHAT MY RIGHTS ARE.
Strawberries_sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what actual rights does a mother have?? Reply with quote

gorgeousgirl68 wrote:
im interested in finding out what rights i have. It looks as though he is going to get access (supervised) possibly once every two months to start off with. He's known through the courts for assault, and breach of the peace. He's violent physically and verbally, and manipulative, a compulsive liar, and trouble maker. Through his violence 16 months ago, i stopped contact. We've been in court for the last few months and have had a court repoter invloved. her recommendation is that he seek anger management before contact, and that he should be allowed quartely contact. my lawyer said he'll probably get more than that. If I refuse this, i could be up in front of the judge for contempt of court. I'm trying to protect my son (he's 3 and a half) from any more emotional upset and confusion. Why do I feel bullied into a corner?? and why on earth am i not being listened to. I could scream with frustration. He's not interested in my boy, just getting at me, and my family. advise me!!!

Im going through the same thing pretty much. And he is the same as you described your ex. My baby is 1 (14 months) and he wants her over night. I think she is too little for this. And he just remarried after just knowing her since Nov. It seems like no one will take my concerns seriously. We have to see a parenting coordinator, since Sept. Its not helping. He even has this counselor snowed to think he is a good guy. And they think im just trying to alienate him from the baby. Im just trying to protect my baby. Im not working and am also afraid he will try to take her from me. He is working and now married. Everyone says he cant take her from me. Im still worried though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: