An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just found out I'm pregnant and the babies daddy wants...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monnie

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: I just found out I'm pregnant and the babies daddy wants... Reply with quote

So, I'm 17 and living at home with my parents. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby broke up with me. He told me to abort the baby, but that goes against all of my beliefs, so I'm keeping my baby. I know that I'm dumb for even getting pregnant at such a young age, but I'm facing the consequences and I'm going to go through with this.

The dad of the baby keeps telling me that he will take the baby away from me and he will get complete custody, becuase he doesn't want anything to do with me.

We barely broke up last week, and he's already made plans to move to New Mexico(we live in California) with one of his ex-girlfriends. He wants to take the child away from me, and have her raise MY baby. He is currently on probation, has no job, lives at home with his mom, and he makes money by taking care of his sister's son and fixing peoples cars. He also didn't file his taxes. He was supposed to get money back, but that is still illegal. He has a "side job." It's not really a job, and he only fixes peopls cars about twice a month. His sister gives him $150 every two weeks. I currently work park time, only weekends, sure it's not a lot of money, but it's steady. I make minimum wage and work 16 hours a week, so you do the math. It's not much, but I also have the support of my parents.

The baby with me would have it's own bedroom, a steady place to live and be with his natural mother. With the dad, it would be with some girl he dated two years ago, which he hasn't seen since she moved to New Mexico, in a one bedroom apartment, and lets say he found a job, they would be living paycheck to paycheck.

Does he have a higher chance than me to keep the baby? He says he does, but I don't think the court would give the baby to a guy that is on probation for 3 years for 2nd degree burglary, has no steady income, and plans on having another woman raise my child, and in a different state.

Can someone help me out?
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop speaking to him. He currently has no rights whatsoever at this point as the federal government does not even consider your pregnancy as a child until it takes its first breath of air.

And if you don't put his name on the Birth Certificate then he has no rights till he sues you for them... and establishes paternity which could take months and months...

At that point, he would need to go to court and request paternity be established, and visitation and custody as well as support. He would need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are an unfit mother... and his own record will be brought into light as well, and it would be highly unlikely that he would get custody... also, if he is moving, let him go... he would not be able to take the child out of state for some time... and if you breast feed, the courts will not order any overnights until the child is a year old...

He is just trying to scare you.... tell him to have a nice life, hope he and his ex settle in in New Mexico, and I am sure that he will have her knocked up quickly enough.

You could lie to him and tell him that you went through with an abortion and there is no longer a need for him to ever contact you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: