An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I stop grandparent visitation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loeweherz

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: How can I stop grandparent visitation? Reply with quote

I know this is going to be long but PLEASE take the time to read

This might be a long one but please take the time to read.

I was never married to my daughter's father, his name is on the birth certificate. He is currently involved in a criminal case since January, I'll spare on the details but through an act of child abuse, his infant so is now dead (the child is not mine). Department of Children and Families has petitioned for a termination of parental rights on his side in regards to my daughter.

Now the grandparents are trying to get visitation and are planning on taking me to court on it. I am quite afraid that if my daughter goes to their home, I may never see her again. There is also a threat of physical abuse since her grandfather was quite abusive to her father (although I doubt anyone will testify to that in court) and I don't want my daughter toted off to a prison to visit someone who is clearly unfit.

I know this is all supposed to be in the best interest of the child but as far as I'm concerned, contact with these people could contribute to her growing up in a negative way.

How on earth can I keep my daughter from coming under the control of her grandparents?

I need to know my rights as a mother, surely a judge who has no inside view on how my daughter is raised can order her to spend time with people who could be detrimental to her physical and mental health.
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be surprised at what a judge will order. If the courts are terminating the parental rights of the father, then the grandparents will most likely not get visitations.

Contact a family law attorney in your state to go over with you the laws and guidelines of the rights of the grandparents in your state.

they may just get supervised visits once a month but they could get more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: