An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my husband left me and the kids this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 08 May 2011
Posts: 1
State or Province: Arkansas

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: my husband left me and the kids this weekend Reply with quote

I am 35 yrs old with two teenage kids (( 15 and 13 )) and i have no job, me and my husband were under the agreement that i could go back to college and i start my classes in a few weeks ..... and he just up and moved out this weekend and now im left wondering what in the world am i gonna do? My question is this : i will be at our local DHS office in the morning and i hope i can get on food stamps so i can feed the kids , , any other woman ever been in my shoes and what assistance is out there for a girl in my corner ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 01 Feb 2009
Posts: 17
State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Financial Assistance for Single Moms Reply with quote

Hi, so what's the status on your situation?

I hope everything will work out in the New Year.
I feel for you in this situation, especially with teenagers at home.. .They are tough.
It might be time for them to help out with the family support (jobs--to get extra money at least for themselves, so you don't have to be burdened with the full support).

Here are some general options for Single Moms who need financial assistance:

1. Apply for food stamps immediately (via online form sometimes, then you may need to go in for an interview--I would go b/c you can get more information at that time from a representative about what your city/county/state offers)
If you can't get info that you want there you should go straight to the county library and talk to a librarian (all free services paid by your taxes)

They will likely require back pay stubs, copy of a support check. Today, you will likely get a letter with a debit card attached and you can use that at the grocery store.
Forget about eating out once per week, try it maybe once per month instead. You just have to cut back and make the kids understand that.
Also, soups are really good in feeding a family.

2. Call your Gas or Electric company and ask if there is a program that allows you to pay for Gas and Electric on a budget (some states/cities offer this). For instance one city has assistance programs that provide grants to assist low income customers with their annual bills.
Here's one example -

3. Day care and After Care programs - search your township website, county website or other to find the best deals. Also, the standard ones may offer a deal to some recipients..see if you qualify.

4. If you are working and you have grown out of the after care program ask an elderly friend or neighbor to look in on your teenager, just to keep him/her on her toes and make sure she/he can't do anything they want, someone will be visiting occasionally.

5. TANF - Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - single moms can receive benefits from this program if they meet the qualifications.

6. CHIP - Children's Health Insurance program - covers children under 18 and will help with prescription medication, doctor visits, dental care and hospital visits. This one is possibly the most important (beyond food). I can go on about how many levels this is important---but I'm sure you get the idea. Possibly the most important is to let your teenagers see that they have coverage and showing your teens that taking care of themselves with some sort of a medical plan is critical and will hopefully have them make job/life decisions into the future where they are choosing a job with medical benefits.

7. HUD - Department of Housing and Urban Development provides subsidized housing if you need it (aka - Section 8 housing). Depending on the state you live in you might be surprised at some of the decent neighborhoods section 8 housing is in---do the research. Counties and states all across the USA have to abide by fair housing act guidelines.

Best of luck and Happy New Year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
©Copyright 1998 to 2016  |   Legal  |   About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Become a Member: Join Now or Login