An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do mother even have any rights?!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starchylde79

State or Province: Indiana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Do mother even have any rights?!?! Reply with quote

I'm in a heck of a mess & I need some advice...because where I live, there is NO legal aid of any kind for people with low/no incomes...& with no money, no lawyer will help me. I am on my own.

I gave birth to a female child in April of 2009. I was not married at the time of conception & I am not married now, but I was only with one man, I know who the father is.

I have lived with the father for the past 3 years & we were on a best friend/roommate basis. He has been in this child's life since day one & has been around her 24/7 since her birth. He was not present at her actual birth, therefore I couldn't put him down as the father, nor could I LEGALLY give her his last name. I had to give her mine.

Now, 2 years later, he is trying to get his rights. I have REPEATEDLY offered...even dragged him physically down to the car and said lets go, to go to HIS lawyers office and get him on her birth certificate and all, but he has decided to go off the rails. As it stands, he's trying to get ALL my financial information because he's trying to get ME for child support! That's fraud because we #1: Live in the same house & #2: I am the ONLY LEGAL PARENT. What's worse is DNA HAS NOT been established in ANY way. He has also been able to file a "Motion to Comply" that states if I don't tell him/his lawyer all about my banks, taxes, property, etc. I will have a bench warrant out for my arrest. HOW DID THIS MAN DO THIS TO ME? WHAT CAN I DO?!?!
disappointed1982

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: It's Crazy Reply with quote

I truly understand your pain. At this time I have no income but at least we do have legal aid in my state. My situation might be a little different but in the end the struggle is pretty much the same. Right now I am searching for an attorney to take my case pro bono. I had my daughter in Dec 2007 and I have been doing everything by myself ever since. Throughout all this time I have been asking the courts to pursue child support but nothing ever came of it. I was doing everything by MYSELF. With no government help, I paid expensive childcare rates, paid for shelter, clothing, medicine, food, etc. I received one child support check and none after that for nearly 4 years now. Now that I am unemployed and on medicaid the state automatically goes after the father for child support. All of a sudden the father wants to get visitation.

About two weeks ago the father and I had to appear in court because he now wants visitation. He feels that if he has to pay child support he has to see his child but it wasn't an issue when he wasn't pressed to pay support. What a sorry piece of man! Ironically, he was granted supervision. He gets to have unsupervised visitation and has never done a thing for my daughter in 4 years. I was so hurt....I just cried. How is it fair to me to have to make soooo many sacrifices-worked so hard to take care of my daughter and bills till I got sick and ended up losing my job-and he walk right into the courts and get visitation.

I'm not trying to put the father down but what judge would give this man unsupervised visitation? I tried to explain to the judge that he needs supervised visitation because he has a very, very long criminal record, he uses cocaine, he beats women, and so forth. Everybody talks about father's rights but what about mother's rights? It seems to me like the courts are on the side of those deadbeat dads. I am still hurt and worried about my child's welfare right now. I am scared to let her go with her father but what other choice do I have right now. Just feel so powerless and tearful right now.
JaninePaul40

State or Province: Not Applicable

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I live in Australia but everyone should have rights under the United Nations Conventions of the rights of a child - no matter which country you live in. There is a link to the United Nations and their policies on my website which shows under my name below.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: