An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does a father ever lose his legal rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickteha

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Does a father ever lose his legal rights? Reply with quote

I have an 11 month old baby his father has only given me $180 dollars since he was born, he stopped seeing our son when he was 4months old and has denied being the father several times even on court papers (when I was trying to get restraning order against him)stating that there was never a paternity test and that he wasnt on the birth certificate. But we both know that its his and he has admited being the father even on an email that he just send me last week his whole family know's that its his and I have even traveled to belize to visit his mother when she moved over there but he will deny or admit it depending if its convinient to him. I didnt put him on the birth certificate cus he walked out on us in the hospital and left my baby with nothing! even though he was there through the whole pregnancy. Now he is threatening me saying that he's gonna fight for custody when the baby is older and can feed himself, go to the restroom on his own, basically when he can do things on his own because he aint going to be getting up in the middle of the night to feed him or change his diaper. Before he use too tell me that he didnt care if his son grew up without a father because he grew up without a father and history will just have to repeat its self.
My ex has taken care of the baby since birth even though he knows its not his, buying him everything he needs, going with me to the doctor, taking care of him, they have a bond together and the baby see's him as his Daddy. But his real father hasnt even made an attempt to care for him in anyway he does not call to check how he's doing or if he needs anything, and I think it would be really sad if 1 day this guy just comes and they give him rights when he dont deserve them!. My baby will see him as a stranger and where will my ex stand in all this when he's the 1 that has been taking care of him and love's him to death?
So my question is, is there a certain amount of time before the biological father lose's his legal rights to a baby that he has neglected?
Is their an age for the baby where if the father hasnt taken responsibilty he cant fight for his legal right's anymore?
Im asking this because my friend told me that if a father after the baby turns a certain age hasnt claimed his right's he cant no more. Is that true and if it is what age is it?
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he isn't the father on the birth certificate, then he has no rights to the child. Legally or biologically... if he wants to exert his rights, then he would have to take you to court to sue for paternity. if your ex is the one caring for him and wants his name on the birth certificate, then let him put it there, but he has to know that he will be legally responsible for the child forever...
hasondea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no more. Is that true and if it is what age is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: