An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Daughters name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissaandjayme

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Changing Daughters name Reply with quote

My daughter is 2 years old. Her father has not seen her since she was 6 months old. We were never married and he lives in a different state. His name is on her birth certificate and she has his last name. How can I get her last name changed to mine?
He wants nothing to do with her and I dont want her growing up with a different last name, wondering who her father is.
Please help
jazzxaviera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where i use to live all name changes and birth certificates were give at the health department. So call or go to your local health department and file for a name change. It shouldn't be a problem because you are changing her name to your last name. Now if you were changing her name to your spouse's last name then he would have sign over all right to your spouse to get it changed.
nat2332

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 2 years old. He has both of our last names hyphenated. I was wondering if its possible to take his last name off? We were never married
Jane Says

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this with my 2 daughters...I hate to say it, but I had to go to court to get the name changed to my last name. Their father and I were married and have been divorced for 5 years--he has minimal contact and is on the top ten child support evader's list--Father of the YEAR!! While it's easy to change your own name ( and that CAN be done at the Health Dept), it's more difficult when it comes to a child. You will have to go through the courts if you have any kind of joint custody-Since a child can't make the decision on his own, you will have to prove that it is in the best interest of the child. My ex has his visits limited to supervised visits and I still had to ask for his permission. He never answered the court filings, so I went to court and told the Judge why it was in their best interest. Same reasons, to give the a strong sense of identity and belonging in a family--a name they can relate to.
Mom - Diane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With you saying the following: "He wants nothing to do with her "

You and her may be better off then. If you get married then the child can take your married name. There will be no one to battle the decision.
ALICIA

State or Province: New York

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readying your story i'm actually glade that my child has my last name and not her fathers. But now he wants to take my to court and try and make them change the last name-that's how stupid he is because they can not make me change her last name he should of been there in the first place plus he's still not giving as he is suppose to so why does he feel that i should change my 3yr old daughters last name. Also his name is not on the birth certificate because once he found out that shes getting my last name he refused to put his name on the birthcertificate- Now he's suffering Crying or Very sad
myzima2000

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if the father gets his parental rights taken away can i change my sons last name back to my maidan name
nathalie

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the father of the child is on your child's birth certificate and she has his last name, then you only can change her last name by either the fathers permission to change it, OR with a court order. If you have sole custody your chances are very high to get the name changed. Long process though....
praying mommy

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: last name Reply with quote

So if my child's father did NOT sign the birth certificate and her last name is hyphenated with both our last names..........do I still need to go through courts to drop his last name???
arlenegrayson

State or Province: Iowa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Daughters name Reply with quote

melissaandjayme wrote:
My daughter is 2 years old. Her father has not seen her since she was 6 months old. We were never married and he lives in a different state. His name is on her birth certificate and she has his last name. How can I get her last name changed to mine?
He wants nothing to do with her and I dont want her growing up with a different last name, wondering who her father is.
Please help

In Iowa you'd go through the County Health Department, but I remember years ago, you had to take a form from a Cincinnati pediatrician's office to the Health Department. I can't remember why. I think it was to safeguard against people illegally changing kids' names, if you get my drift.
cupidsrose

State or Province: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Hi, everybody, I am a new friend. Reply with quote

Hi, everybody, I am a new friend. Smile
ElizabethDa

State or Province: Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a good thing that you want to do that. Your daughter deserves your name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: