An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is about to get ugly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vantonmar

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: This is about to get ugly Reply with quote

Good morning all...

I know we are all going through this, but I really need someone's help. I'm a single mother, and my daughter's father is raking me over the coals regarding visitation.

Just a little back story..I'm 21, I met her father (D) in high-school. thought I was in love (a few years ago, it felt like love). it was a verbal, emotional, and physically abusive relationship, but I didnt want our baby to grow up without both parents (I'm a hopeless romantic and naive), so I stayed. I was living with his family (nothing wrong with my family, but i wanted to be closer to him, and he didnt want to leave Indiana). Well, needless to say, he was cheating, an the insults and arguments kept on. It was a little much, so he moved out (I stayed to live with his mother (controlling/ psycho) who incessantly had a hold on me (She made me believe that my family was turning their backs on me, and I had nothing but this family). Needless to say, she had threatened to put me and my baby out many times. Finally, I called my mother (who was more than willing to drop what she was doing to drive the 11 hours and come rescue me and my daughter. I've been living with her ever since. (2012)

No here is the tricky part. D has never had a set visitation (I've allowed him to see her and me on and off for a year after our baby was born). he had taken that for granted. When I left, I didn't know that I was to notify the court of Indiana that I was leaving to get out of that hostile environment.

Due to the fact that I was without representation (did I mention that I do not have a job, I'm in school while my mother supports my daughter and I while I complete my education), I was found in contempt of court, he got everything he wanted as far as visitation, he even got his child support (which was $58/wk, decreased to $44/wk).

Since I still dont have representation, and he is threatening me that he will call CPS because she flinched at him and is trying to obtain full custody of her.

Can he do that? Can anyone out there help me. I need representation, but cannot afford it. How can people with money get away with manipulating the system because I cant afford a lawyer, or to travel back and forth to indiana (I live in Maryland).

I need all the help I can get.

Thank you in advance for any help!!!
eden14

State or Province: Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: custody Reply with quote

Have you considered working with a custody mediator? Although not free much less expensive and effective.

You have already been found in contempt. That's a huge problem.

Good luck to you.
ashleyjohn

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not have any other option but taking the help of an attorney. I would suggest you to visit Seigman, Starritt-Burnett & Sinkfield, PLLC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: