An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joint Custody Relocation MO-FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flmommymobabies

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Joint Custody Relocation MO-FL Reply with quote

I am originally from Orlando, FL and met my husband when I moved to Kansas City 15 years ago. We were married for 13 years and have 3 kids. I had my youngest son in Florida...spend every summer here and all vacations and holidays mostly with my kids - he came sometimes. We always agreed that we were moving back to Florida, but we never did, he always had excuses. After my son was born, it was clear we were going to be divorced. I was a stay at home mom and travelled to Florida for work at my own cost, so I knew I had to get a job, a real job, in order to support my kids when we separated. I was offered a job in Indianapolis (8 hours from KC) that was ideal, in my career field and rewarded me for my experience - something I would never have in Kansas City. So, I told him about the job, and that I would move out there and get settled and the kids could finish school for the year in KC and then move out the beginning of next semester. He agreed. But then, long story short, he filed for divorce after I moved out there, and put in the motion that I couldn't relocate the kids, blah blah blah....so I ended up having to move back to KC so that could stop driving 16 hours round trip every weekend to see my kids, and lost my job. So we were divorced and both lived in KC and shared legal and physical custody - with their principle residence being at his house (I started renting the house next door) I still had work in Florida and was offered a position down here. This was after another school year started, and so we talked about it and agreed that I should take the job and the kids would come down for the holidays and the summer this year and start the next school year 2015/2016 in Florida. But am scared to trust him since we had agreed previously to something and he violated our agreement.

So, when my kids come to Florida for the summer, I am going to send my ex a letter telling him of my intentions to relocate their principle residence to Florida in 60 days. This is the proper procedure for Missouri, but I just want to make sure there won't be a problem because their principle residence right now is actually his house even though we have joint physical custody.

I know I should get an attorney, but would like to wait to see if this goes smoothly first and save up all my money for possible litigation if he objects.

Do any of you out there have any experience with this? Or any suggestions for better options for joint custody across the country? I'm more open than he is to alternative situations, but would love to hear of anything that has worked. We both love our kids and want them...I know I'm lucky, and my kids are lucky to have that. But would love some help making this the least stressful for everyone involved.

My kids are 12 (7th grade), 5 (K) and 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: