An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step-Mom teaching my daughter that she is her mother.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessicabaker4

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Step-Mom teaching my daughter that she is her mother. Reply with quote

Is there any rights that say that the stepparent is not to address the child as their actual parent. My two year old daughters step-parent is teaching her that she is her mother and having my daughter call her mom. They aren't married, she's just his girlfriend and my daughter is too young and I think she can be easily confused. Although they only get her every other weekend, I still feel that I should have rights in that area. If anyone knows of any rights or law codes about this situation it would be greatly appreciated if you respond. Thank You.
hawk1979

State or Province: Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion you should talk to your daughter and teach her you got one mommy. And only one mom. Your X's has no right to do that to you or his daughter it will just confuse her.
dada2fish

State or Province: Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would talk to the woman and your ex directly, politely and firmly demand that your child not call her "mom". You should all agree on what she should be addressed as.

If she gives you a hard time, I would talk to your ex alone and tell him this is confusing to your child, disrespectful to you and borders on emotional abuse.

If they still don't cooperate, I would put a request with the courts that the child not be around your exes girlfriend since her actions are jeopardizing your mother/ daughter relationship.

I would also make sure to call her by her given name to your daughter and whenever your daughter talks about her, reinforce in her the habit of using her actual name.

Tell your daughter in a gentle, but loving way that your are her only MOM and the only one special enough to be her mom. Don't trash talk the other woman but let your daughter know having a relationship with her is great but she is just "Stacy".

People are unbelievable. I could see if they were married she could be Momma Stacy or something similar and then be officially be her step mom, but geez! she's a girlfriend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: