An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where can I find legal help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdixon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: where can I find legal help Reply with quote

I am living in St Louis, MO. My husband has filed for divorce and custody of our child. He has a good job with the city we live in and has not only connections in the courts but the income to afford a lawyer. I cannot afford to pay a lawyer. I am having a hard time simply keeping a roof over our heads. Does anyone know where I can go for help? I am terrified of going to court without a lawyer.
rdixon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jdixon
You are entitled to child support for each child. This support is based on his income which by law is there to support your children.
You need to go on the offensive. Use legal aid to file for support in court. He will not want to be thought of as a dead beat because this will affect everything down the road.
You should get $400 per child each month. When support is settled you will have the money to support your children or to get a good lawyer to fight for custody. Many lawyers will take monthly payments that you can afford
This is what makes sense but talk to legal aid tomorrow before he files in court.
Good luck
dixon
reba75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am 30yrs old and have a daughter who is 3 yrs living in Wauwatosa,WI and just broke up with boyfriend of 4 yrs and father of my dauther of 3yrs and wanted to know what rights he has and what rights I have. At this point i have not gotten in contact with him to let him know when he would beable to see her. He has contacted my parents and they relay the message or he will call me. I dont think Im ready at this point or i dont want to put any stress on my daughter. She has not mentioned him at all or said she miss him. I guess I feel out of sight out of mind. Please let me know what to do. Never been in this situation and would need some help.
Barb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reba75
Hi,
My name is Barbara, I'm aslo from Wisconsin, what has boy friend said about the child? Does he want custody? I would assume he does as this will get him out of child support. Get a lawyer as soon as possible, if you can, to determine custody. Fathers rights very powerful in this state, be very careful.
please contact me
Barbara
Wisconsin
Mothers Unite!
custodyiq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JDixon,

I can read between the lines how scared you are. While it's important to be concerned about this process, only a tiny fraction of people ever see their worst fears happen. And most of those people took little to no action to prevent the outcome.

So, deep breath. You have quite a bit of control here.

It's very important to educate yourself about this process, because the outcome of the first court hearing is an important one. It sets the stage for the next many hearings.

You are entitled to an attorney. The court may order your husband to pay for your attorney.

Many attorneys will meet with you for free to discuss your case. Some may waive the retainer if you provide evidence of your income, your husband's income, and some of the details of your case.

You want to find an attorney who is familiar with the courthouse (i.e., and judge) that is handling your case.

Looking in the phone book is possibly the least best way to find a good attorney. If you don't have family and friends who may know someone, then go to the courthouse and just sit in the courtroom of your judge for half a day. Watch the attorneys that are successful on their cases and who argue well for their client. Then ask for their card in the hallway (i.e., after each case is over, the parties typically leave the courtroom).

If your husband has good reason to be concerned about your ability to raise the kids, it's time to address those demons in yourself ASAP. Be it drugs, alcohol, emotional volatility, etc... go get help for it. If he has valid serious concerns, and you address/resolve his concerns on your own, the court will be impressed with you.

But, if you're an outstanding mother who has taken care of the kids for years, you have little to fear with a competent attorney by your side.

In terms of child support, that will be ordered at the same time the court rules on a parenting plan. It's formulaic.

You're emotionally overwhelmed, and rightly so. But if that stops you from taking action right now, it could seriously hurt your case.

If you want to see how cases really happen at every step of the way, feel free to visit my website at www.CustodyIQ.com. I also have plenty of recommended resources (i.e., books) for parents going through this.

Good luck.

www.CustodyIQ.com
Barb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

custodyiq
I went to your web site.
All mothers on this board, please check it out.
Please read questions and answers of march 18, 2005 (pro mothers web site) I did not care for your answer as I feel there are enough pro fathers righters out there. Every one make up your own minds.
Barbara
Wisconsin
MOTHERS UNITE!
custodyiq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for visiting my website, Barbara. Note the post you reference is from the operator of a pro-mother website, asking me to get more involved with mothers. The response I provide to her is clear enough on its own.

You'll likewise note that I give plenty of advice to mothers on my website. I don't get involved in the politics of mothers' rights or fathers' rights, nor do I encourage any single gender to band together to defeat another gender.

I agree that everyone should make up their own minds with regard to what I may offer. The sound guidance I give to mothers and fathers alike is from experience and a wealth of knowledge gathered spending years in the family law system.

My primary focus is to help keep healthy parents involved in their kids' lives... and to prevent healthy parents from being ripped out of their kids' lives.
slbennett1025@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSTODYIQ.COM

I am NOT biased against gender either but there are way too many websites that are pro-fathers rights and they disguise themselves as PRO-CHILDREN. It's a shame that children are used as pawns and tools to play one parent against the other. Unfortunately, there are way too many kids in the United States that are placed in homes where abuse and neglect occur and are separated from a family that could love and provide for them in a healthy way. Barbara is a very knowledgable lady and can see thru a lot of nonsense, she has done her research and has wisdom far more than many of us can begin to comprehend. It takes two to make a child and to support it but our children are not getting that benefit because of corrupt courts. Mothers are NOT being heard, only Fathers and so many times women (because of the pain that only mothers can understand) reach out for help and unknowingly end up being on a Fathers Right website. I hope you are sincere about your website, if so, GOD bless you. Politics should be separate from the love of a parent. Thank you for your time.
#1 Dad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information custodyiq. The fact is that children are better off in most cases when both parents are able to get along and spend alot of time with them. Most fathers rights sites advocate for equal parenting while many angry women want sole custody. The reason you see so many fathers rights groups now is die to the historic bias to mothers in family court. This has begun to change, slightly, but not in favor of fathers, just more equitable. My group, www.wisconsinfathers.org advocates for equality and has many women mambers as well. Step mothers have repeatedly stated how the ex interferes with parenting time. Cooperation is the key to success and happiness for our children. I have never heard of a child being better off without either parent so long as that parent is a good, loving parent. We should encourage both parents to get along and enhance their parenting skills. Our children will be better off for it.
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: