An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

custody laws in Idaho

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawkins

State or Province: Idaho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: custody laws in Idaho Reply with quote

My ex and I were never married.... we have not been getting along and I have left the state of Idaho with my 2 children. There is nothing established through the courts so I was wondering if it is against the law that I left with my kids. I have searched all over the internet and I'm having a hard time finding the answer. Can someone please help me??
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not against the law, however Idaho still has jurisdiction of your children and your ex could file in the courts there to establish his rights, get some type of custody, etc....

Have you let the ex know where you are?
Shawkins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, he is aware of where we are. I have allowed the kids to call him everyday.
Sterling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he would need to serve you if he chose to take it to court. Most states have a 6 months of jurisdiction change so once you are where you are at the jurisdiction for your children will be where you live now.

Is he threatening to file anything?
Shawkins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he is.... and unfortunately its him and his family in Idaho.... My family and friends are in Seattle so when he kicked me out of the house knowing i have no where to go and also knowing i can't take the kids with no where to go, i felt i had no choice. I didn't want it to be like this but even getting my own place was out of the question with the amount of money i make ($200.00 / wk). The house we had is in his mom's name and she gave me eviction papers. He won't discuss anything with me..... he just said that originally he was going to file for joint custody and now that I left he is filing for full custody. I have a better chance of getting a better job in Seattle with the help of my family behind me and someone to be on my side. I honestly don't know what other choice I had. I guess all I can do now is what till it goes to court.
Shawkins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops.. i missed the first paragraph of your reply. He actually tried to serve me papers the day I left at a friends house... but I was already gone. what will happen now that i never received them and my friend wouldn't accept them??
Sterling

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!! He can tell the court he tried to serve you and you took off and he can get custody etc....by default.

You need to find out what has happened and make sure you haven't screwed yourself. Bad idea you pulled. If I were you I'd get a lawyer asap cause you are going to need it to help you should your ex already gone to court to say you avoided being served.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Moms with Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: