An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice for my sister-in-law

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shatoyiab

State or Province: Hawaii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Need advice for my sister-in-law Reply with quote

I am asking this question on behalf of my sister-in-law. My sister-in-law has a 4 year old daughter from a previous relationship (they were not married). Since her daughter was born she has voluntarily let her go visit her father randomly over the years. So she has visited her father a total of 12 months out of 4 years. My sister-in-law married my brother in May of 2007. The father all of a sudden became very jealous of my brother and sister-in-law getting married. My sister-in-law recently let her daughter go visit her father in January. Once her daughter was there with her father the father began to act very different. He became upset that his daughter was calling another man daddy (my brother) and started getting very hostile with my sister-in-law whenever she would call to speak to her daughter. Now he doesn't answer the phone whenever she calls and has sent her papers in the mail from his lawyer attempting to get full custody of their daughter.

In the letter that she received the father is claiming that the daughter has been living with him the whole time and that my sister-in-law abandoned their daughter. He paid child support randomly for about 3 months and stopped. My sister-in-law lives in Georgia and the father lives in Tennessee; he filed the papers in Tennessee although their daughter was born in Georgia. My sister-in-law and my brother are going to pick up my niece earlier that they intended for fear that the father will try to keep her until May; which is when the court date is set for.

Can the father legally get custody of her when he hasn't consistently paid child support and he is lying saying that their daughter has lived with him for 3 years?

What about my sister-in-law voluntarily letting their daughter go stay with her father? doesn't that account for something since she didn't have to do that?

Should my sister-in-law apply for child support since the father is acting so nasty now that she is married?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: