An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adoption...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinx0688

State or Province: Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Adoption... Reply with quote

I'm a young mother and know that I am not capable of taking care of my [soon to be born] child. I feel the father is more irresponsible than I would be, but he expressed he would rather take the child than let me give it to a loving, capable family. Is it legal for me to decide to give it to a family, or will he get first dibs because it is his natural child?
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the father is known, yes, he will have to consent to the adoption. Me and my husband adopted a child 3 years ago. The father had to sign his rights away for us to complete the adoption.

In our case the father did not want to give up the child, but finally consented because he could not take care of his other 4 children.

Good Luck. I will say we know a lot of loving couples that have adopted and provide the child with all the love any child could want and give their child every opportunity in life that anyone could want.
kay.brandy

State or Province: Nevada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Father does not have to sign his rights away Reply with quote

I know it's been a year since this was posted, but I just wanted to give you my insight. I gave a child up 4.5 years ago for adoption. His parents & I agreed on an open adoption.. and it has been since day one. I knew who the father of my son was.. I told him about it.. He didn't tell me he wanted the baby or didn't want the baby. I knew I couldn't keep him where I'm in the mists of trying to get my other 2 children back from their grandparents. All they did to terminate his parental rights was put an article in the paper saying my name, the childs name(not his legal name), the adoption agency and they were pursuing adoption plans. And that was it. But this took place in the state of Nevada so things, I'm sure, are different from state to state.
I hope you got your issue resolved and giving a child up for adoption is ALWAYS THE BEST THING FOR THE CHILD no matter who says it isn't. I couldn't have picked a better family for my little guy.
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The courts usually try to contact the father. In our case they put an ad in the paper but also sent a letters to all his last known addresses (he had a lot). Somehow one of the letters made it to him at a P.O. Box or something.

I don't know if giving up the child for adoptions is Always the best option but it IS a VERY GOOD option in a lot of cases. We know many adoptive parents and they are all wonderful.

-Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: