An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to say at work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Mothers By Choice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendy36

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: What to say at work Reply with quote

I am 36 years old and about to undergo the insemination process.
I work for a friendly but corporate company in Manhattan surrounded by
conservative traditional types. I feel extremely uncomfortable with the idea of being under scrutiny and labeled as "the unmarried woman who's single and pregnant", especially when I am surrounded by a sea of girls in their 20s that are all engaged or on the verge. I know most people will probably say "honesty is the best policy" but truth be told I'd like to know if anyone here came up with something else to say. Has anyone pretended they suddenly got married to simply avoid the barage of questions or stares. I kow my friends and family are totally behind me but work is a completely different story. Thank you in advance for any advice or shared stories you all can lend!
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to say anything at all. First off you don't show with your first pregnancy till usually the third trimester. Why do you have to pretend to be married. If someone asks, you can just say that you are very happy about the coming baby and very ready to be parents... you are not lying... you will be both mom and dad to the baby. Corporate America is not as hard assed as you think since really only corporate america can afford to get what you are doing done.

Be happy and Be proud that you have the ability to do this.
MaryM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I would not say anything. Once you start showing, just tell everyone how much you are looking forward to being parent, how happy you are and leave it at that.

If someone strats prying, jus say you would like to keep your private life and relationships -- well private.

-Mary
ksk7070

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a Corporate environment also. I had a baby 3 years ago. I got pregnant by a one night stand with an old boyfriend. I was very worried about what people would say at work. I know that people talk about me, but I really don't care. I love my son and wouldn't change a thing about what happened. I am a very hard worker and people respect me for that so I don't really care what they think of my personal life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Mothers By Choice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: