An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soon to be ex lives in another state wanting custody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caligirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Soon to be ex lives in another state wanting custody Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone has delt with Jurisdiction issues over which state will hear custody case. I am in CA, by ex who is wanting custody is in AL. Can a court make me return to a state & stay there if I want to be with my boy?
Barb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caligirl
Do you now have your child with you, and how long have you lived in Ca.? If your ex moved to Al. and does not have the child, he will have to come to Ca. for custody battle. By the way Ca. is one of the worst states there is for giving custody to men. Very, very gender biased. Why does he want custody? Is he abusive or just want out of child support? Keep us posted.
slbennett will be responding to you, any way I would be very surprised if she don't. She is in southern California, would be wise of you to contact her.

Barb
Wisconsin
Mothers Unite!
caligirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is with me, I have a good attorney, I have not yet met the state requirements for divorce, but we( attorney & I) filed hoping to get jurisdiction & have the entire case heard here. My husband wants custody so he doesnt have to pay, as well as wants to be with our son. He works construction, and travels all over the US every few months. However, if he could have his boy with him everyday & everynight, he would go flip burgers at McDonalds. He has nothing over me to proove I am an unfit mother. And I have nothing over him. Hes a GREAT father, who wants to be with his 1 yr old son. But says the court in AL will hear the case, he even filed for divorce there, ontop of what I filed here. I did legal seperation & Custody. We both have attorneys in both states. He is so certain the case will be heard in AL in 2 weeks. the case is also to be heard in CA in 3 weeks. ITS A MESS, and I am really scared he could get custody, or make me have to move back to AL with our son.
slbennett1025@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caligirl,

I just came on to the website this evening. I have been keeping in close contact with Barbara
from Wisconsin and Wendy from North Carolina.
I am in Ontario (Southern CA), are you nearby?
My email is slbennett1025@yahoo.com. My ex and I were married and divorced here in California and had 2 children here and when we got divorced, I was forbidden to leave the 7 southern counties with the children. I had tried to go back to Oklahoma (my old roots) but evidently if the child is from California, they become property of the state, not people...property!!! I just hope you have a good attorney. They frown on a person that does not have legal representation. Keep in touch and keep us posted. WE (the mothers and women) are here for you. By the way, Barbara and Wendy are women full of knowledge. Good luck and GOD bless you. Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: