An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I moved out of state and lost custody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessica30

State or Province: North Carolina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: I moved out of state and lost custody Reply with quote

I am a 30 year old mother of two. Toward the end of June I moved from Northern Virginia to North Carolina to be closer to my family, for a better job, and life for my children. My ten year old daughters father contested the move, and, because the school year wasn't quite over, he was award temporary custody until our trial date in August.
At the trial (Which had been set to be an all day trial), my lawyer abandoned me, saying he couldn't stay for the full time, because he hadn't known that it was scheduled for the whole day, and he had court in another county later in the day (We knew weeks prior that the courtroom had been reserved for the entire day.).
Her father was again awarded temporary custody, and registered her in a local school. A new trial date was set for October 24th, and I got a new lawyer.
The judge decided to keep her with her father, based on the fact that she was already enrolled in school with him (Which strikes me as being a little unjust, considering he sent her to the school in the first place, and stated that he was unprejudicely putting her into school, and it would not affect the ruling.), and that I am currently living with a boyfriend (He stated that "a married home, is better than a single home.").

My daughter is devastated, having been taken away from her mother and baby brother to live full time with her father, who has only been involved in her life as an every-other-weekend parent, never seeing her outside of his designated visitation, never being involved in her schooling, or any outside activities.

On top of that, I can only see her once a month (Alternating months I have to spend in VA, presumably at a hotel.). Giving her no chance to see her brother, her grandparents or her uncles (One of whom is in the army, being sent to Iraq next Spring.) and aunt. I can only call his house to talk to her on the phone three times a week, for half an hour.
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your child born in West Virginia? What you should have done was to go through the courts prior to leaving... and you should have waited to move till the end of the school year. what you can do is to repetition so that she can go to school with you next year... contact an attorney... if she is 10 years old now... the judge may listen to what your daughter wants at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: