An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Father wants to Change my Childs name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Custodial Mothering Today
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENE12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Father wants to Change my Childs name Reply with quote

I am a single mother, and my 1 year old son's father has never been involved. A few months ago he told me he was going to go to court and change the baby's name. I hired a lawyer and am now fighting him for child support, but his lawyer is filing a petition to change my sons name. I live in New Jersey, and it is the mothers choice in the state, but does anyone have any knowledge of if he really can change his name?
Barb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RENE12
I would'nt think so, it sounds like you were never married and as far as I know you do not have to give the child the fathers last name, but please remember that most lawyer's will try anhthing for money.
Let us know the out come.

Barbara
Wisconsin
redrum301

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he can fight for it. you have MUCH better changes of winning if you DO NOT seek child support but you ask he be blocked of any rights. You'll pay more, but your kid will be safer. I'm in a similar place right now, in NY
ttfn

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam in NJ NOt likely will he get the name change. THis is just the start of the years ahead of harrassment and being an idiot. So get prepared you will be in for the ride of your life. My daughter has my name and am so thankful for that. Enough time has gone by by your sons pops that the likleynes is slim. Pops will have to show why he wants it changed now, what will be the benefit of it. One question if he is not seeeking visitation be careful of suppport becausse with that comes visitiation, POps will take the child just to hurt you no regard to how it hurts the child and the cycle starts. If you can get awa;y clean no support not visitation do that in the long run your life is hard but no one to make your life hell and that it will be ,if he is starting the name game now......
mcgee_37

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: My sons really father is trying to change his name Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering my son is 7 months old and his father has not paid me any money or gave my son anything since he has been born. And now he is saying that all of a sudden he wants to be apart of my sons life. He is taking me to court to try and chance his last name to his last name and I really dont want that to happen. The thing is that im fixing to get married and my soon to be husband has been in my sons life since before he was even born. We would really both like it if when we get married we can change my sons name to my husbands last name. I live in Texas and was just wondering if anyone knows if that is possible or not. Please reply!!!! Thanks So Much
jacimaeb

State or Province: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? I am facing this as well and would like to know if it happens.
Thanks
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the woman in Texas... I have a few friends that live there and yes, he can get his name changed there much easier then almost any other state. Also, to the women that have son's that are younger then school age... It is possible, and likely that they will be able to change the child's last name by simply stating that they desire their son to carry on their name. If he volunteers to pay support, the judge is not going to say he can't cause you don't want it... the judge will order it, and possibly order the name change with the birth certificate to be changed to reflect the new name...

It is easier and cheaper for the man to sue you through child support and custody court to change the child's name then to petition through civil court to do it since all they have to do is pay the filing fees and their attorneys hourly rate ... and if the courts order the name change, they don't have to pay anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Custodial Mothering Today All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: