An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name the father?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akmom2B

State or Province: Alaska

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Name the father? Reply with quote

I am a single mom of 2 boys 9,7 from my first marriage. I am currently pregnant with my 3rd child by a different man. We broke up before finding out that I'm expecting. He initally didn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to abort or adopt it out. Now (2 days later) he says that he wants to have the baby 50/50 so he won't have to pay child support. I wonder what my rights are? Can I slow things down if I don't put his name on the birth certificate? He also has a drug problem that I'm going to have a hard time proving (prescription narcotics) Would appreciate any advice!
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not putting his name on the birth certificate is a double edged sword.

Yes, you will slow him down. If his name isn't on the Birth Certificate he will have no rights to the child. But in the same way he has no rights to the child, you have no rights to support.

What you should most likely do, is just stop all contact with the BD... I am assuming you are early in your pregnancy. And not contact him when the child is born.

If you breast feed the child no court will order a 50/50 split. since they will not take the child away from its food. Not to mention that it is probably unlikely that a 50/50 split would be ordered for a new born of unmarried parents.

When the child is born, it is assumed by the courts that mom has full custody and if dad wants some he needs to sue for it.

Contact a family law attorney, and start getting things in order so you won't have any surprises later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: