An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does He Have Any Rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktmchristina

State or Province: Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Does He Have Any Rights? Reply with quote

Ok, I have to give you a brief run down of what's going on....and I understand that you can't give official legal advice or whatever, but I guess I just need to talk to someone has more knowledge than me.
So I was dumb, had a one night stand with a long time friend, got pregnant. (By the way I know 3 people where NuvaRing has failed them! Including myself!) He paid for one doctors visit, my first appointment. After that didn't help out. FOUND OUT ANOTHER GIRL WAS PREGNANT BY HIM, she was due a month after me. So I went my own way, got back together with my ex husband, and he has been the father to my newborn. When I had my son, my ex husband was there in the hospital, not the biological father. So I did not put a father's name on the birth certificate and my son has my last name. So with there being no father listed, does the bilogical father have any rights? He has been out of the picture but if later down the road he decides to randomly show up...does he have any rights to my child? Oh and there has never been a paternity test to legally prove he is the father either, so does he even have anything going for him?
JRHunt18

State or Province: Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you willing state that he is the father he would have to prove he was by a dna test. If you want you can go back and put your ex husband as the father and that would make him the dad legally. But the babies dad will have to prove he is the father before he has rights and then yes he will have rights but he will also have to pay child support for him.
ktmchristina

State or Province: Oregon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

I really appreciate your info. I understand laws are different from state to state but here in Oregon it seems like whenever you go to research answsers, all you ever run into is that they can't provide legal information unless you pay like a billion dollars! So unfortunately the quickest and honestly, the most informative information I can get is to just get answers from someone who knows, either from personal experience or whatever. Anyway, thanks for the answer! I feel WAY better! Probably finally sleep great tonight!
JRHunt18

State or Province: Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea not a problem. This could also be of help if you have it there, our court house in Michigan has what they call a legal center and you can call and they will give you the best legal advise that they can. Maybe you guys have something like that there. I hope things get better for you.
Aine O'Brocken

State or Province: Washington

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Watch out for the sperm donor! Reply with quote

As long as you keep away from him...
As long as you don't ask anything from him...
As long as you don't admit that he is the sperm donor...
Things should go well.

I have a friend in a similar situation. She became pregnant. She refused to abort the child upon the demand of the sperm donor. He told her to prepare to lose everything she had, because he would take her to court an take everything she had. She got tired of living at a poverty level and went after the father for child support. He took the child from her, by court order. She is permitted to see the child only on supervised visitation. The child is abused by the sperm donor and his new wife. My friend is trying to regain custody--a difficult thing to do, when you have been beggared by the court system and the sperm donor has plenty of money.

However...she has a court hearing in February to try to regain custody.
Two things I would like you to do:
1--Pray for this friend of mine
2--Learn from her experience
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: