An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single mom needing advice/support - not sure which?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InformedMom09

State or Province: Washington

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Single mom needing advice/support - not sure which? Reply with quote

Hi there. I am joining to see if there are others who have been put in my situation and hear their stories so I can be as informed as possible.

I live in WA. My daughter is 16yo and has decided to spend the school year with her dad to get to know him. My daughter's father lives in PA. I was recently charged with child support for the 10 months my daughter has stayed with him. I am very confused, hurt and angry. Mostly trying to grasp what I need to do to be informed and ready.

I will try to repost this in another topic forum with more detail. Hoping there are others who hear this story, relate and help me come to grips with it.
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your child is not living with you and is under the age of 18, then the custodial parent is within his or her rights to get child support for the parent that the child is not residing with.

At a certain age, a child can decide which parent they wish to live with... alot of the states are at age 12, but some go as high as age 15. Your 16 year old is allowed to decide to live with dad as long as dad does not pose any kind of physical threat. A judge will always say that it is in the best interest of the child to get to know the other parent. You will need to begin paying support based on the calculated estimates that the courts go by. You will also awnt to set up visitation with your daughter that if she is going to school there, then she comes home to you int he summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: