An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single mom giving child her last name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HT

State or Province: North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Single mom giving child her last name? Reply with quote

HELP!!

I am a single mom of a 2 yr old. I have been in and out of court for custody since November. I go again next week. The last time I was in court the judge mentioned swithing my daughter's last name (which is mine) to the fathers. How can I prevent this? What are my rights to keep her last name the way it is (which is mine?)
Love4Kids

State or Province: Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Single mom giving child her last name? Reply with quote

HT wrote:
HELP!!

I am a single mom of a 2 yr old. I have been in and out of court for custody since November. I go again next week. The last time I was in court the judge mentioned swithing my daughter's last name (which is mine) to the fathers. How can I prevent this? What are my rights to keep her last name the way it is (which is mine?)

I think once a child's name is on a birth certificate, both parents have to agree to the changed. If you don't agree, it's not going to happen
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is untrue... if the father wants it done, then the mother usually will have no say and the judge can order it to be legally changed...

Since your child is a girl and not a boy that will carry on the name, you may be able to argue that she will one day get married and carry her husbands name and that she will never carry on her fathers name and there is no reason to change it from the name she now carries as it will also not be the name she carries all her life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: