An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes if Father gets joint legal??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love4Kids

State or Province: Minnesota

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Changes if Father gets joint legal?? Reply with quote

Question
Let me give a quick background as I am new here. My son was born 'out of wedlock', but concieved after our divorce. SO, I was married to his Father for a short time. We have a visitation arrangement that sort just evolved into what is now everyother weekend basically. He used to have more time than this, but due to work and him choosing an apartment further from his son, he was unable to keep his weekday night that he had and Sunday night. My son is now 7 yrs old. We've lived in our home for over 4 years now, he's gone to the same school since preschool, I've been married to his stepdad for 5 years, he has two older stepbrothers and a younger sister.
In our state, I have sole legal and sole physical custody because his dad as never attempted any more. He's never formally came to me for anything in writing nor to a Mediator or the courts.
My Question: At this time, if he were to go to court for joint legal or more physical custody(which logistically I don't think he could do anyway), what do I stand to lose? Would he get joint Legal but I could fight to have my son still go to the church he's being raised in, same doctors, and anything else that is already in place? How could he all of a sudden have rights to make decisions when he hasn't had any this whole time, nor has he tried. He's never argued any of my decisions... except church. He is not against where we go, which is the religion he grew up in as well, but he wants our son to go to church with him every Sunday because it's 'his' time. I'm not against my son going to church with him, but I don't want him going to Sunday School as well (my Ex and his wife are avid Baptist and they themselves 'need' to attend Sunday School AND church).
I'm sure there is more I could clarify, but I'd like to start with this much and see what everyone thinks.
Thanks!
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely that he could get joint legal custody. And it really isn't that bad, he just gets to have a say in decisions concerning his son. How would you feel if you had no say?

As for him going with his dad to his church... you really don't get to say he can't as it is his time. As long as it is not harmful to the child, a court will tell you that you need to get over it, and your son will belong to two churches...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: