An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pregnant and single

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Pregnant and Alone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KelliTX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Pregnant and single Reply with quote

I'm currently single and 31 weeks pregnant. I do live with the father of my child and right now things are going well. This was an unplanned prenancy, and we've had a lot of controversy over it. I do not know what to expect from the father. My question is over the last name of the baby. My family is adamant about using my maiden name, however, he wants the baby to have his name. I assume that either way, his rights are the same in Texas. Anyone faced this issue??
christianjewel23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... My daughters father didnt want his name on there.. for a while he did and when she was born he flat out said no.. now all the sudden he wants to play daddy.. He cant force you put his name on there.. When they have you fill out the birth certificate. IF and thats IF you put his name on there you can still use your last name.. I chose not to put my daughters fathers name on there.. now if he wants it on there he has to pay for the DNA test AND he also has to file for it to be done.. however if he has his name on there you can always legally change his last night.. you have to follow your heart noone else can tell you what to do hunny! good luck and god bless!
sadinwashington

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also single pragnet and 30 weeks. The babys father has walked out of our life twice now, in 9 months.He keeps going back to his ex wife now that the baby is close he thinks that he is going to take her away from me so him and his ex wife can raise her, I feel that he got me pregnet cause she cant have any more kids and they think that they are going to take her away from me, she will not have his last name and he will not be on the birth certificat.
marigallion

State or Province: Alaska

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Please don't use your baby's father's last name!! Reply with quote

Hi, ladies!
I very strongly urge you to use your maiden name with your precious babies! My son has my own last name, and as a result, life is MUCH easier. I don't have to correct people who think I'm "Mrs. Ross," (better to correct the Mrs. than the actual name), and my son strongly identifies with my family rather than his father's. Why? Because we're the ones that are here for him! Just think of how it would feel to have a different name than your mother when she's the only real family you've got! I'm not saying that your child's father won't be a part of his or her life, but I AM saying that you are more of a parent to that child than his father is. And there is NO legal requirement that you use your chld's father's name. It is a cultural thing: it gives men way more power that they deserve, especailly when they've cut and run. Some people will try to tell you that a child will be humiliated if he doesn't have his father's name. WRONG AGAIN!! AND I know it might not seem like a big deal right now (while you're pregnant), but with my book I have to do a lot of traveling, and if my son didn't have my own last name, we'd have been stuck at the Canadian border too many times. IN ADDITION, if your child's father is not present and willing to sign that birth certificate while you are in the hospital (or wherever you decide to give birth), don't even put his name on it. This will have no bearing on your child support or your child's father's legal responsibility, but WILL enable you to get your child's passport without his father's approval. Again, might not seem like a big deal. But if you have to get your child's passport and your child's father is nowhere to be found, guess what? No passport for you! UNLESS that birth certificate has only your name on it. So, although it might seem humiliating and confusing, the fact that your child's father is not quite so active in your life, in this case, is a blessing. Single pregnant women, TAKE CARE of yourslves, be empowered, and don't let the strange culture and system in our country convince you to make a mistake that will compromise your autonomy and rights as a mother! Love and light,
Ashley Barlow

State or Province: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently 16 years old and I am 3 almost 4 months pregnant. The dad is not around in my case but I would advise you use your last name that way if anything unexpected would happen you wouldnt have to go through all the trouble with the legal system if you know what I mean. If he absolutely wants his last name you could hyphen it in there or something like that but if you guys arent married then I wouldnt do it. That is just my view on things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Pregnant and Alone All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: