An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Family Law Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 1
State or Province: Illinois

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Need some help! Reply with quote

Hi all, I am writing this for my girlfriend who is need of some direction on what to do. About 3 years ago she got divorced in Arizona and has 2 children. They elected to have joint custody, and the now 16 year old son stayed with the father, and the now 13 year old daughter lives with the mother. About 2 years ago, the mother(my girlfriend) was offered a good job in the chicago area. So, her and her daughter moved here. The son stayed with the dad in arizona. The father is an over the road truck driver and is gone from the house 3 days out of the week, leaving the son to get into all sorts of trouble. The son has gotten into drugs(using) and has been truant so many times, he has been kicked out of school recently. He was failing every class he was in anyway. The fathers attitude is let the boy do what he wants.

She was able to get the son to come and live here for 1 semester last year, and helped him with homework. He was passing all but one class while he was here, but he missed his friends from Arizona. Finally he said enough and had the father come pick him up and take him back.

So, even if she could afford to take the father to court to get custody, it would probably drag out in court until he's 18. Any ideas on what to do, besides knock some sense into the father. He's trying so hard to be a friend to his son, he's forgotten his responsibilities as a parent.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Still in Love

Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 216
State or Province: California

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this, but I believe that Arizona allows the child to have a say at the age of 13. So even if you could afford a long drawn out court case, the child now has a right to say where he wants to live. also, he can drop out of school at the age of 16.

I know you have the best interest of the child at heart, but it is most likely going to be wasted money.

You should look up the legal age of the child's right to say in Arizona and possibly try to get the boy to at least go into a GED program so that when he starts to realize his mistakes... he could at least still go onto a junior college.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Family Law Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
©Copyright 1998 to 2016  |   Legal  |   About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Become a Member: Join Now or Login