An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's time for a change!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FEDupn2012

State or Province: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: It's time for a change! Reply with quote

Currently, I am going through a modification and the NC is telling the court that he can't afford to pay the amount court ordered. However, he has paid an attorney for almost a year, lied about his true income, his wife is hiding money for him and my child is going to suffer because of it.

I am trying to initiate a law in which a non custodial parent who wants to hire an attorney must submit to that attorney ALL of their financial records. These documents must be signed and certified as true and correct and then the attorney must submit these documents to the court along with the estimated costs of the hearing (usually the worst case scenario) and a magistrate or judge must then approve the NC's request to have an attorney. The attorney, only after the magistrate or judge has ruled that the NC is indigent, must then represent the NC at a discounted rate and that rate can not exceed the amount that is owed in back child support. If the amount of fees to be paid is to exceed the amount of past child support then the attorney MUST advise the NC that he should pay his child support. This will halt attorney's taking a client's money that could be used to pay child support. If the NC believes that he will be jailed for submitting fraudulent documentation then more child support will be paid and attorneys will stop this unfair raping of the child support system.

If you think this is unfair, then think about when you need to file a document with the court and their is a charge? If you are unemployed and can't afford the filing fee then you must submit to the court a signed affidavit stating that you can't afford the fee along with bank statements and any income you may be receiving. What if you are buying a home or applying to rent a apartment? Do they just take your word for it? No, you must provide documentation and if you lie about it, then you can be evicted or lose the funding for your home. NC lies consistently about their finances and they are simply believed because of these ruthless, unethical attorneys.

Ask yourself, "What is the greatest financial obligation?" I believe it is the one that is owed to a child. No investment is more important and rewarding.

The NC's attorney in my case has taken more money that what is due in back child support and consistently lies and submits fraudulent documentation to ensure that his client comes out the victor. The money that he has been paid could have paid for our child and their needs but instead it is going into his pocket and paying his private club fees I am sure.

Custodial parents, this practice needs to stop. The days of NC's coming to court saying "I can't pay that amount of support but, I sure as hell can pay this attorney 20k or 30k to make sure I can pay as little as possible."

If you have been through this please write your congress person and tell them your stories. I have and I will continue until this practice ends! Not all attorneys are bad but to take money from someone that says they can't afford child support but you make sure they pay your bills is UNETHICAL and has to stop.

Please write your congress person!
olsencin

State or Province: Washington

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Letter Writing Campaign Reply with quote

Lets start a letter writing campaign to CNN! contact me at my email below.

Cindy Olsen
bingo296

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!!
urbamom

State or Province: Illinois

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: I don't know why women don't unite Reply with quote

I am going through the family court and realize how broken it is. I don't understand why we women put up with the abuse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: