An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my rights as a mother???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ella

State or Province: Other

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: What are my rights as a mother??? Reply with quote

My ex-husband and I have just gone through our divorce that took 7 months, I walked out of our 8 year relationship as I couldnt be with him and be unhappy anymore, I didnt want to fight I wanted us to make this whole ordeal as painless as possible on all else involved.
It was decided that we would go through his laywer to do this, it was also decided that because we wanted our two little boys Dominic 8 and Matthew 3 to be least disrupted they would stay with their dad and go to the same school, have the same friends everything be the same except for mommy not living there.
I moved to another town which is 45 min away from where he currently lives with our boys, all this time we have been doing things his way abiding by his laywers ways our divorce is now final and it just feels like I have less and less rights now to our boys, we have joint custody but he seems to call all the shots as to how and when they may vissit me, I only get to have them every second weekend and half of each school holiday.
He doesnt inform me of any events or school functions of any kind, I just want to know what my rights are as a mother I dont want to fight I want us to work together as parents to our little boys but right now it just feels like its all his way and I have no say.
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what percentage of joint custody do you have... if it is 50/50 he gets them one week and you another... and it is up to you to get them to and from school. you gave him all the rights by conceding to do it his way... if you want fair... you need to fight for your own rights.

Go to court, get a lawyer and fix this now... or it will only get worse.
Ella

State or Province: Other

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is 50/50 joint custody but still he calls all the shots and threatens me with things like getting me fired from my job or making my families life hell, or taking me to court and destroying me in that way.
I'm bipolar type A and am on medication for it but yet he says no court will give children to a bipolar parent.
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that is true... if he isn't abiding by the 50/50 split... take him to court for contempt... but in your case, I would definitely get an attorney. Go for a consultation....

50/50 means you get the kids 26 weeks a year and so does he... and you also get all the information on schools and doctors... you can totally bypass him in that respect... take your court papers to the doctors and schools and have all your information put on all the files... and request that all information be sent to both addresses, and that if your husband brings your children into the doctors, that you be called as you have 1/2 legal custody with him and you want to be consulted on any and all medical conditions... you also want to be consulted on any change he makes to his doctors so if they are sent a request to transfer records, you are to be called immediately with the new doctors name.

But go to an attorney immediately and have him file for a contempt order since your husband isn't following the guide lines... and when you go to court make sure you state you still want 50/50 but you want it stated that every other week your children are with you for 3 days then 4 days... or if you can't remember the off weeks... you each have the kids from Sunday morning till Saturday night... every other week, and in the summer, one of you will get the month of July and the other will get the month of August... and you make sure that holidays are every other... you get the kids on thanksgiving on even years and xmas on odd years. whether it is your week to have them or not... include xmas eve as well. same with mothers day and fathers day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Custody Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: