An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When can they choose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bingo296

State or Province: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: When can they choose? Reply with quote

I'm sure my situation is common but I'd really like to hear what people really think. Here is a little bit of history to explain my situation:

My ex-husband decided he only wanted our children one weekend a month and half of the summer. He has had very rare contact with the kids except for when I had to pay him to watch them for almost 9 months while i worked that was almost 5 months ago. He called them 5 or 6 times over the summer but has now decided that I have to make them call him every night before they go to bed because he's busy. My children are 8 and 9 years old. I have told them that they can call their dad whenever they want on several different occasions and I have sent him my work schedule so he knows when I am home for him to call them. They have rarely asked to call him.
Do you think it is my responsibility to go out of my way to make them to call their father every night?
At what age do you think kids should be allowed a choice in regards to how often they have contact with their absentee parent?
Still in Love

State or Province: California

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every state has their own age limits as to when a child can choose for themselves... california is 12 I believe, Texas is 15... and I believe PA is 14...

If you are currently wanting the visits and such changed... then go to court and request a modification in custody and visitation... go to a lawyer for a consult... they are usually free or for a small fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Single Parenting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: