An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEED HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixnethin

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: NEED HELP Reply with quote

Hi, long story but ill try to make it short. An ex-gf of mine just had a baby, and she knows the father is her current bf, and he also knows that. when her and I broke up I was a jerk, and when she was about 2 months along I got back in touch with her. We JUST friends, but kinda to pay her back I've been helping her out (a little money sometimes, a person to talk to, fixed her car etc). Anyway her bf is a big child and o DO NOT say that to her or give her any relationship advice, but she is realizing hes and idiot. Anyway she and her bf got into a nasty fight the other day and she wanted o goto her parents but he said "your not going anywhere with my son" so my question is what rights dose she have? Keep in mind the babay is 2 weeks old and dosnt even have a birth certificate, as far as I know there is no paperwork saying he is the father. She isn't worried abot child support as she has very supportive parents, but who knows that may change. She's afraid to even look up this info b/c shes scared he will find out and flip out. So what should she do? BTW she is a resident of md. And a little more back story she shares an appt with her bf, but he couldn't afford it without her, and his mother lost her younger kids because cs took them for abuse, so I doubt she could provide a home for the bf and son. Please help. Thank you.

Alex
Nicole555

State or Province: Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that I can only respond to what you have provided. I am sure there are many more details, but I am going to give you my perspective. First of all, I don't know this boyfriend of her's but she obviously saw enough in him to make a baby with him. Love can sometimes be blind. Maybe he really is a jerk - or perhaps his attitude has something to do with her relationship with her ex??

Anyway, since the two chose to have a baby our of wedlock, it seems that Maryland (as do most states) requires that unmarried fathers establish paternity before being granted equal rights with the mother. So, for now, she is the custodial parent.

If she is certain that this man is the father, she should absolutely allow him regular visitation with the child if she does decide to leave. Failure to do so may have negative consequences later. Besides, he has every right to enjoy a relationship with his child. After all, regardless of the law, he is as much that child's parent as she is. Good luck to you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Mothers and Children's Rights Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: