An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vacation medical release? temp custody?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Parenting Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javalady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: vacation medical release? temp custody? Reply with quote

Hey,
anyone have experience with grandparents having the kids out to visit for part of the summer? My kids are about to go visit grandpa for 10 days. He wants a medical relase form. I can do that. But what about a form giving him temp custody with the dates stated on it? should i do that? I don't want to give him ANY chance of taking legal custody. I dont' expect that to happen, but you never know...paranoia is always ''there'' when you are divorced, ya know? I've been unemployed for 5 months and have just recently been in a car wreck that totalled my car. So... my 3 kids and I are living on the child support money and food stamps. I pray that my Ex will NOT want to sue for custody -- he's never wanted it previously and probably doesn't now either, but I worry about that. I am the custodial parent.
katysmom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what state you are in and it's not real clear who is going to have the kids- dad or grampa, but if dad will be there he will not need a medical release form. Fathers can treat their kids. So write out a form specifying dates and the grandparents names, and say something like I, (your name) authorize (grandparents names) to seek emergency care and make immediate medical decisions for my children (kids full names)from (start date to end date) while they are visiting. Sign it and put your address and phone number, and that's that. I don't think you need it notarized, even. Whatever you do do not give ANYONE temporary custody EVER. My ex took my daughter while I was at work one day and I couldn't take her back because I lived in a different state from where we divorced and he claimed he hadn't given me permission. So he says he'll give her back when I'm on my own (I was living with my parents) and a few other of his condescending restrictions. He says he needs me to give him temporary custody for medical reasons, and if I didn't agree, he would go to court for sole custody (his lawyer even served me with papers claiming a court date in January). I didn't know what to do and deliberated a lot about it, but finally thought signing the temporary order and meeting his stupid conditions would be better for my daughter than a long court battle. Well, I guess his lawyer wrote the temp order, and I apparently agreed that she had been integrated into his house (all that was on the order was a statute and I didn't have a computer to look it up and my car broke down right after he took her so I couldn't even go to the library) Did I mention that in most states, integration is a reason to modify custody? Do you see where I am going with this? 18 months later and I still don't have her back and I barely get to see her. Ask me 2 years ago and I never would have thought I'd be in this position. He was an uninvolved father at best for the first 3 years. It's his new wife (then his girlfriend). Well, that and controlling my life. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING WITH THE WORD CUSTODY ON IT!!!!!!!!!!
Javalady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, thanks for the reply. I went online and got some ideas on how to phrase my form. It says pretty much what you said also and NO word of CUSTODY. That's what had me freaking out, so I left it out.

I wrote up a Consent to Travel and a Medical Release. I included a statement that i am the Legal Guardian of A,b,and C children with their DOBs, and place of birth. Then I signed it, and no it didn't need notarizing here in Texas. In the paragraph giving permission to travel, I stated with whom they would be traveling an during what dates. I also added a sentence restricting their travel to our state only. For the medical release, I used the information online and my paragraph gave grandpa and the doctors to do pretty much everything -- from administering first aid to surgery and injections of medication, transportation by ambulance, medical helicopter, etc. I've heard horror stories of how children died because Specific Release wasnt given. So I made mine comprehensive!! Grandpa said it was overkill. Ha ha.
On a second page I put each child's physical descriptions (height, weight, hair color, eye color) and their basic medical info (allergies to medications, blood type, medications taking, and noted that Immunization shots are up to date.) I put in pretty much EVERYTHING that an ER Doctor is gonna need to know about my children. Another page had info I was reluctant to put, for privacy issues, but I put it anyway. I put down the names and addresses of my children's doctor, dentist, pharmacy, and Medicade information. I finished it off with repeating my Contact Information such as my name, address, and all phone contact information.
The kids have been at Grandpa's house for a week now and are having a lot of fun. They've also be to see Aunts and Uncles, and Cousin's on their Dad's side of the family. I've called and talked to them several times. They are excited that their Dad will pick them up for the weekend too. I'll be excited when they get back HOME with me on Sunday.
I usually ''deal'' with them being gone by prayer. I pray for them, I pray for their safety, I pray for their health, and I pray for Guardian Angels to go with them. And then I let them GO. That's all I can do when they go with their Dad for a rare weekend.
Blessings on you!
katysmom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for writing again, I am so relieved that it is going well! I hope you always remember how lucky you are that when your kids come home they come home to you. just always pray!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Parenting Time All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: