An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can i get child support while fathers in jail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Support Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heatherlamieje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Can i get child support while fathers in jail? Reply with quote

Can i get child support while fathers in jail?
HaleySue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he dont have any income while in jail. My experience with that is NO.
slbennett1025@yahoo.com

While watching Montel Williams today, the topic was about mothers leaving young children at home unattended but couldn't afford child care and maybe it depends on the state, but it doesn't seem like you would be able to because being in jail isn't an earned income expense unless he works at the jail as a guard or you could prove that there was something (like property or land) to go after. Don't feel bad, even the fathers that aren't in jail still don't pay child support.
sara

I heard that the state would pay some child support monthly to mothers whose childrens father is in jail. Does anyone know anything about this?
HaleySue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about that but maybe it depends on the State you live in.
k&mm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my state if the parent who pays child support is in jail the parent who is supposed to receive, gets nothing. Haleysue, check into your states laws. You should be able to find the answer there or you can call a lawyer. Some will answer that question over the phone.
Joyce

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't get paid child support while the obligor is in jail. That's the whole point, if the obigor is not paying child support, jail is suppossed to give obligor some needed time for introspection & self reflection over same. Of course, it helps if they were able to pay child support to begin with.
ginchrst

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dealing w/ this issue right now. My son's father has been in jail for about 2wks now & is expected to serve at least 2yrs. for his crime. I have a support order that he has been paying responsibly for about 3yrs. I know that unless he contacts the office somehow the order will stay and he will owe arrears when he is released. Does anyone know that if he does contact the office to inform them of his NEW situation if the support is reduced or stopped all together?? I live in CA...thank you.
Jane Says

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recieve child support for my two children, never have, never will. The cpurts are going after him for over $30,000, in May he will go to jail if he does not make an attempt to pay most of that. I welcome the day he is put in jail, he serves no good to anyone, especially his own daughters. Jail would give him plenty of time to think about being a good father and being responsible, and the best thing is they don't serve alcohol in jail so he can sober up.
Skye211983

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that my daughters father is in jail and will be sent to prison for a year and nine months. He was to go to court in MARCH of this year and he never showed up. He was court ordered to start pay'n child support in MAY and I have not gotten a dime from him. Which they said that the case would be closed and I would have to restart. I would love to have some info if anyone is going through or have been through this. e-mail me at elizabethwagner211983@yahoo.com
Flairdd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, you don't get anything but the money they owe does go in arears at least.
myzima2000

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when my ex was in jail he was suppose to be on work release so i guess it depends if your ex's boss is willing to transfer him back and forth to work and jail. but i know in sc the ex or what ever works for the jail like going to clean up trash and then they pay them which in return goes to you but when my ex boss finally bailed him out after 3 months he had to pay like 1800 so i got like 1600 some odd dollars. the other money went to the courts for court cost or something like that but i am getting ready to go back to court for the same reason except his boss is going to be in trouble for not garnishing his wadges any way good luck
tina

State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he is in jail and working then a % of his wages will be sent to you or if you havent been on AFDC you can get it for 24 months... but if you have already gotten it then your just crap out of luck.... no far is it but that is how it is here in SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Child Support Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: