An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10-yo difficulty taking meds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Parenting Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laceyey

State or Province: Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: 10-yo difficulty taking meds Reply with quote

Hello moms!!

I'm a single mom of a 10-yo daughter. Although I have custody, she is currently living with my mother b/o some health problems, but she spends the night at my house two nights a week, and her daughter although he has joint custody sees her maybe 2-3 times a year.

Anyways, my 10-yo daughter has severe asthma and she is on several meds. As long as she is on her meds, she does really well without any flareups. However, she is currently taking allergy shots, and can only take them if she is not wheezing. Lately, she has been wheezing frequently and it has been frustrating getting her off the ground regarding her allergy shots. She has horse riding lessons next week, and I am particuarly worried about her response to the horses, because she has not been on her shots long enough to build up a reaction.

My question is that we have struggled for many years as far as her responsibility taking her meds. The only way she will take her meds is if I stand right beside and watch her. Now that she is 10, I feel like she should have matured to the point that she can be responsibe for this, especially if she wants to go away to any summer camps, etc.

But, if one of her meds doesn't taste good she won't take it. If it's a prevention medication she won't take it. I'm tired of asking her all the time if she is taking her medication.

I've used different reward techniques to get her to take her medications but it hasn't worked and I am out of solutions. I need some advice.

The second part of my question is that she is taking riding lessons next week and will need to wear gloves and a face mask to reduce her risk for an allergy attack. I can just hear her response right now before I tell her that she needs to wear them. She will cop an attitude and not talk to me. How do I let her know that it is okay for her to take care of herself and not be embarassed. She doesn't want anyone to know that she has to take an inhaler. Even though her riding instructor has to wear a face mask because he also has asthma, it is not enough incentive for her to take care of herself.

Sorry for the long post, thanks, I look forward to meeting and talking with other siingle moms.

Christy
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not what you wnat to hear, because it's so hard to do. How about not allowing your daughter to do certain things unless she starts acting like a big girl -- and that means taking her meds and inhaler.

If she refuses, then no riding lessons or camps. Rewards usually don't work with kids -- I know, we all know.

Anyway, we love our kids, and it hurts us to keep them from doing something fun or that they really want to do. Thats what make it so hard. I didn't say I could do it, but maybe you have to put your foot down and stand your ground.
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christy,

This may be a great question to submit to the "Ask the Expert" on this site.

http://www.searchmothers.com/ask/sowle/buffer_truth.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Parenting Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: