An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IM SO CONFUSED PLEASE HELP ME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Custodial Mothering Today
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saffron s

State or Province: Not Applicable

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: IM SO CONFUSED PLEASE HELP ME Reply with quote

well basically my situation is i had a child at 15 me and his father regestered his birth together and his name is on the birth certificate the child was born may 04. we stayed together up untill feb 06, wen we split up my childs father was still involved and the agreements were amicable but now we both have new partners the father has turned nasty and is rude and abusive towards me wen we come into contact. the father has stopped seeing his son and has told his solicitor that i attacked him wen he attacked me. he still texts me and says how much he is missing his son but never arranges to see him, he says he would rather be able to take his son out for the day that play with him under my supervision, i will not allow this as the father took him 1 day and brought him back 2 hours late with mo text to say he was going to be late. he is now applying to the courts for a full parental responsibility order even though he hasnt seen his son in nearly 3 months.
im really confused at what to do. are there any loop holes for when this gos to court to get supervised visits or to wipe his parental responsibilitys compleatly?
Mickeymouse5472

State or Province: Utah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first. Things very from state to state, so find out what the child custody laws are in your state. Alot of states but not all will only do joint custody not full. Usually once a father files for full custody he has to prove you are a unfit mother to get full custody. Only you know how far your ex will go. If he is one to be decitful then becareful! Men tend to have more power then woman when it comes to the courts! Although again most states go through mediation before or if it ever goes to court. Mediation is where they try to get you and the father to work out "sharing the child" (Make sure you are firm on stuff or you may be sorry!!) Next if he has already filed then get a lawer.
sandy20

State or Province: Maryland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: About Mediation Reply with quote

Yes. I think mediation may be an answer for many couples. It initially helped in my case. Mediation is a process in which a professionally trained person (sometimes hired by the county or township) assists parents in reaching an agreement to provide for the physical custody, financial support, or basically care of their child or children. The goal of the mediation process is to reach a "parenting agreement" that involves BOTH parents in the continuing custody relationship with their child or children. The agreement focuses on the rights and responsibilities of both parents, and on the child's needs.

What's important to note, as in the previous message is that you should walk into mediation being seriously prepared. You have to be willing to say Yes to something. Be prepared to negotiate and if you aren't a good negotiator try to read up on or listen to tapes or something about the art of negotiation before going into the mediation meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Custodial Mothering Today All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: