An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can i do this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Joint Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaliyah99

State or Province: Virginia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: can i do this Reply with quote

Hi im 20 years old sigle mother with a 8 month old daughter. My question is me and my baby father have joint custody of our daughter. Can I move to another state without him trying to hold me in the state of virginia just beause we have a child together?
jami143db

State or Province: Iowa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends, do you have something on paper, do you have primary. if nothing is on paper, then yes you can. I would talk to lawyer before doing anything though
uinaz

State or Province: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better check what the rules are there...I tried to moved from Arizona to Illinois and the bio-dad decided since I wouldn't make any "deals" with him to lower his support, he would file for joint custody (my son was nearly 2 at this point and he saw him for the first time at age 1 for about 49 hours the entire year) he fought my relocation request, got joint custody (with a guy I baely knew and we are supposed to co-parent, right) and got the judge to tack his last name on to his birth name (which was mine) and all kinds of horrible visitation rights. Also, she rejected my request to relocate even with a dispute assessment IN MY FAVOR! so, the courts are biased towards fathers these days, no matter what the siutation it has taken a turn for the worse. If you have joint custody it will be slim to none unless the guy agrees, that you will be allowed to move away to another state. Then again, it also depends on the Judge. some are extremely biased like here in arizona. good luck to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Joint Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: