An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead Beat Dad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Getting More Child Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Dead Beat Dad? Reply with quote

Let me start by saying that I'm not a mother. I'm the child of a dead beat dad. I turned twenty in December, and recently, I've begun wondering what can be done about my father. He was ordered, while I was still a child, to pay child support for myself and my older brother. He paid maybe 200 dollars of the sum he actually owed, and while these sporatic checks were nice, they could not be counted on for anything. Bench warrents were issued for his arrest, contempt of court. He was never arrested, because his new wife had a brother on the small town police force in the area they lived in.

Since then, he's almost killed my ex step mother. That was seven or eight years ago.

What I want to know is... What can I do? I want to sue him for the money he owes, but I don't even know where to start and if I have any legal backing, or only my mother can do it... He owes this family a lot, and he was ordered to pay, but never did... How do I help make up this to my mother, who gave up a huge portion of her life just to support my brother and I?
Back to top

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a wonderful mother.
Why do you want to force this issue? Your father sounds like a violent man, it may not be worth it.
I'm sure your mother is very proud of you. I hope you get schooling, make something of yourself and above all be happy!
A word of warning, be careful, fathers rights is very strong and hard telling what your dead beat dad could turn around and accuse your mother of and get away with it.
Back to top

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't afford to get schooling, that's part of the reason I want to do this. My mother's in her 50's and has JUST bought her first home. We don't have a lot of spare money because the payments are so high...

He's only violent when he's drunk. Otherwise, according to my mother, he's an OK guy. I wouldn't know. They divorced when I was two. My mother went to school, became a carpenter, hurt herself, became a respitory therapist through a government funded college program, then went back to school a few years ago to become a nurse like she'd wanted to, her whole life. I love my mother, and I want to help her however I can, and the best monitary way is to either take insurance on myself and then die or to sue my father for the back support. Wink As I'm not ready to die, I want to find out how I can legally get this man to pay up.
Back to top

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two children that went without child support for 6 yrs. I found a company in Dallas, TX that collects child support and adult child support. I was a little worried at first, but after speaking with someone at ParentPower they walked me through the process and have got the support started after 6 long years. You may want to call them and see if they can help. I was a scared that my ex would be made at me, but he has taken out is anger on them so far.
Back to top

Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 74
State or Province: South Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know if your child support was to be paid through the courts then i would go to the courts or go to legal aid and get a lawyor and sue your dad for that money you are entitled to that money and you and your brother deserve that and it may be easier for you as the child to sue your dad versus you mother it would not look good for your dad to refuse his children back support to the court then if your mom would file for the back support and if your mom had filed for dss support they will automaticly take your dad tax return and you get it for as long as it takes to catch up the back support. I would not let the money go if you need it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Getting More Child Support All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
©Copyright 1998 to 2016  |   Legal  |   About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Become a Member: Join Now or Login