An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are Mothers Rights when youre not married to the father

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah5538

State or Province: North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: What are Mothers Rights when youre not married to the father Reply with quote

hi i need to know my rights.. the father of my child keeps threatening to take me to court because he says its not fair that my baby lives with me and not him when he doesnt even have a place to live or time to spend with him.. he works 50 hours a week and if our baby did live with him he would more than likely get his mother to take care of the baby instead of himself. I dont want my baby to have to live two lives.. i need to know how to protect him from that . i am extremely against joint custody.. i wouldnt mind every other weekend but he's going to fight for more. how do i get sole custody?
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, like yours, the courts will start by awarding every other weekend visitation, but the courts are not always logical. You may be able to have a consultation with a lawyer for free. I checked out three different lawyers before going to court and each gave me a 1/2 consultation for free to talk about my case. If nothing else, it could relive your anxiety.

Don't agree to joint custody.

Try to communicate by email and save all your emails. It could be used in court and show some of the things you mentioned in your post.

Sorry I could not help you more. Keep us posted.

-Mary
sarah5538

State or Province: North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for your help. i really appreciate that.. i am going to go try to get a consultation for free.. just to see what my rights are so im not so stressed out over thinking he's able to take my baby away from me at any moment. I am ok with every other weekend but he wants to split every week and i think that is too much.. of course, its all in the future because our son is only 4 months old.. but just thinking about it scares me. thanks again for your encouragement and your help, Mary. i will keep you posted.
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, until he has filed something his threats are meanlingless! Don't let any of it stress you out!
TAMEE

State or Province: West Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Our situations are very similiar. My baby is 5 months and the father(we were also never married) said that exact thing, it's not fair she lives w/ me and I get to see her all the time and do everything for her. We have been to court saw a mediator and agreed to a 1st year plan. E/O day in August to age 1 he will have e/o day 2 days being 7-4 the others 5-8. He said he wants 3 days 1 week and 4 the next. For 18 years she would have no actual stable home being his mom does everything for him as well. He has to take her to his moms so she can help rather than go to his own house. Her live until 18 would be controlled by a court order. I think a split in custody 50/50 is only good for those who were involved from day one and have proven themselves to be worthy of being equal parents(provide $ and things needed) Parents who are able to communicate well and have no ill feelings toward one another or it is nothing but a tug of war for the child. Most men if not all want a 50/50 in attempts to get out of child support and be able to claim the child on taxes.

Read up on this research on joint custody site I found.

http://www.thelizlibrary.org/liz/those-jointcustody-studies.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: