An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should a three year old know before entering preschool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Toddlers to Twelve Year olds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley Barlow

State or Province: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: What should a three year old know before entering preschool Reply with quote

I have a three year old sister that will be 4 in June and I am not sure what she needs to know before entering preschool. She knows her numbers kind of and barely knows her colors. She does not know any of the letters. I am worried that she will be behind all the other students when she starts this fall. Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated. I work with her a lot and she just seems not to comprehend things. Her attention span is really short. Is that normal in three year olds? I am about to have a baby myself in April and I just need to know these things so I can be prepared myself as well as work with my sister. What can I do to get her to listen to me and sit down and concentrate. Confused
MaryM

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like your sister is a little behind. She probably should know her colors by now and be starting to learn her letters. The good news is that itís just pre-school so itís not a pass / fail situation. They probably donít require her to know certain things, but you donít want her way behind the other kids.

One thing you can do for your sister is to make learning colors and letters a game. Think of some way it can be fun Ė a contest or something. Another way is -- if she wants something, like to watch TV, make her do 15 minutes of recognizing letters or colors before rewarding her with TV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Toddlers to Twelve Year olds All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: