An Online Monthly Magazine for Mothers
Serving Single Mothers, Single Mothers by Choice, Single and Married Custodial Moms, Non-Custodial Moms
Home        MESSAGE BOARDS

SearchMothers.com Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrie795

State or Province: Illinois

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Fed up Reply with quote

I'm new to this site, so bear with me. I am divorced from my son's father - have been for 11 years. I am re-married and have been to my new husband for 5 years. My exhusband and father of my son has always been a complete and total jerk when it comes to making my life terrible. He has been convicted of domestic violence against me, battery, and DUI. I have sole custody of my son, he has visitation rights. He gets my son every other weekend and 2 weeks during the summer. I received court papers the other week from him. He wants my son the entire summer vacation, Easter vacation, Christmas vacation, and any holiday that he is scheduled to have him when it falls on a weekend (even if it's a weekend he isn't scheduled to have him on) he wants my son for the entire weekend. I went to an attorney today, who explained to me that the judge will give him more visitation. I asked if I could claimmy son as a tax exemption, as I have never been able to. Our original divorce granted him to be able to do this. When I asked if I could, she said probably not. I asked that he have to pay 1/2 of my son's school tuition (my son attends a Catholic school and tuition is $1800.). She said he didn't have to but we could ask. I asked that he have to pay 1/2 of my son's college when he chooses to go. She said I have to wait until my son has chosen a college. I asked where are MY rights? I live and breathe for my son. He is the most kind, polite, smart boy. I have raised him myself, and with my 2nd husband, and am proud of how my son is. Why am I being punished?? I was physically abused by my ex, he was convicted. I don't understand why I don't have the right to say being with him more than he already is will not be in the best interest of my son. I told the attorney this, and the response was "the judge is a father's judge" and he will probably give your ex most of what he wants. You can't get tuition, etc., because it wasn't spelled out exactly that way in the initial divorce decree. My question is - isn't that what modifications are for!!!??? I am just sick. This whole mess is making me physically sick. I am a wreck. I need some support. So if anyone has any words to help me, I would truly truly appreciate it. ~ Carrie
Sterling

State or Province: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie, get another lawyer, one that is willing to fight for what you want and what you don't want!!!!!!!!!!!
MsNicole515

State or Province: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Defintiely find a lawyer who will fight for you! Reply with quote

definitely get another lawyer!! when i got divorced my lawyer already had advised me to put college, extra curricular activies, my son future car insurance... all he had to pay half of. He should have told you to add that, you do not have to wait for college to come!! Mine has to pay for half medical after i pay the first 250 every year and all the other stuff i just mentioned. Mine has a pending 3rd DUI and moved away to Florida. I want to try for sole cusotdy next. I'm wondering if i can get in. He also stopped paying me because he lost his job so havne't seen a dime in two months!!

I know the feeling my son is an angel couldn't imagine give him up for a two week vacation. I would be so sad!! Hang in there! Just find a better lawyer and pray alot. It's been working for me! Take Care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SearchMothers.com Forum Index -> Sole Custody All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: